The Land of the Dead

Y/n's POV

We emerged in Central Park just north of the big pond. While I was slowly getting used to shadow traveling, it still made me feel sick to my stomach. I took a seat in the plush grass, my hands grasping at the tiny green blades. Mrs. O'Leary looked pretty tired, and she limped over to a cluster of boulders which she then began to sniff. For a moment, I thought she might have drowned them in her own pee, but she didn't.

"It's okay," Nico assured us. "She just smells the way home."

Percy frowned. "Through the rocks?"

"The Underworld has two major entrances," Nico revealed. "You know the one in L.A. Charon's ferry. Most souls go that way, but there's a smaller path, harder to find. The Door of Orpheus. The dude with the lyre. He used his music to charm the earth and open a new path into the Underworld. He sang his way right into Hades' palace and almost got away with his wife's soul."

"You know, how about we take a small break," I suggest. "I don't know about you guys, but if I'm gonna go into the Underworld, I need a minute. It's also one in the morning, and we've been gone almost a full day without rest. Plus, how's this door open, anyways?"

"We need music," Nico responded. "How's your singing?"

"Do I look like a child of Apollo to you?" I pose.

"Well you can shoot," Nico pointed out. "And you help in the infirmary a lot, right? So technically you're already halfway there."

"And that's where my Apollo talents end," I confess. "I have no tune whatsoever, and I can't play an instrument to save my life. But uh, you're a son of Hades. Can't you just tell it to open?"

"It's not so easy. We need music," Nico insisted.

"I have a better idea. Grover!" Percy called out into the park.

"Dude! Are you trying to get the police patrol to find us? I'm sure they'd love to find three kids hanging around here this late," I joke.

"My empathy link is tingling," Percy admitted. "I think Grover might be close."

"And my ears are tingling cause you just yelled right into them," I counter and rub my ears. "Oh, and by the way, you never apologized for causing me pain through our empathy link a few days ago. I'd still like an 'I'm sorry'."

"You get snippy when you're tired," Nico noticed. "I do too. You know what helps? A McDonald's Happy Meal. But you have to get the nuggets. And the Sprite. Something about that stuff is just different."

"I know, right!" I confirm. "It's like they charged it with a car battery!"

"Guys," Percy interjected and stumbled forward slightly. "While you two were bonding over kids food, I got through to Grover. He's on his way."

"Kids food? Okay, there is no age limit for a Happy Meal," I argue as Grover fell out of the branches of the tree right next to us.

"Grover!" Percy yelped. "You okay man?"

"Oh, I'm fine. I was at the other end of the park. The dryads had this great idea of passing me through the trees to get me here. They don't understand height very well," Grover muttered and brushed himself off.

"Good to see you, G-man," Percy teased and pulled Grover in for a hug. "You remember Nico. And Y/n, of course."

"Hey, Grover," I greet and embrace him. "We've all been worried sick. Where have you been the past two months? Juniper's worried. We sent Iris-messages but-"

"Hold on," Grover intervened. "What month is this?"

"Um, August," Percy replied.

"Aw schist. I missed your birthday, Y/n! I'm so sorry," Grover apologized.