Diamond earring

(This one shot takes place at the end of season 5)

Soft streaks of pink, orange, and yellow painted the sky as Layla leaned against her car, watching the sun set. Noticing her sitting alone, Tony leisurely approached her while stretching his arms.
"Looks like we saved the world again." Tony said, letting out a sigh. "We're getting good at this."
"Well, the world is lucky Sudarikov made an AI out of you and not me, otherwise you'd be worshiping your robot overlords right now." She said smugly.
"Hey, the only reason it was the Toretto Virus is because I was the best driver. I won the ROAM car race, not you." He bragged.
Layla scoffed. "We set you up for that win! The team! Did you not learn anything from this whole thing? The Toretto Virus represents you, by yourself, and it got beat because it didn't have a family like the real Toretto did. Did you not get that?" Layla ranted.
"Whatever." Tony scoffed. "Look, are you gonna spend all day talking, or are you ready to race?" Hearing the challenging tone in his voice, Layla smirked. Jumping into their cars, they sped off, racing towards the sunset. Their cars sped down the street, taking turns in the lead as they both battled to be faster.
    The entire race they were neck and neck but in the end Layla pulled ahead and beat Tony only by a matter of a few seconds. "Aw yeah! I win, again!" Layla celebrated as she got out of her car. After closing his car door, Tony slowly approached her with his hands in his pockets.
    "You're welcome. I knew you felt bad since I won the ROAM race so I let you have it this time." He said.
    "You didn't let me win! You just don't wanna admit I'm the better racer!" Layla argued.
    "Because you're not."
    "Just keep telling yourself that, Toretto." She said. Despite their hostile argument, Tony started chuckling. "What's so funny?"
    "You." He said. Before she could get upset he continued. "You haven't changed at all. You're still the same old Layla."
    "Is that supposed to be a bad thing?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.
    "No, it was just reminding me of our first mission together." He said.
    "Oh."
    "Despite us being at each other's throats, we actually made a great team. We still do."
    "Where's this all coming from, Toretto?" Layla asked, eyeing him suspiciously.
"It's been a long time because we've been busy, you know, with missions and everything, but don't think I've forgotten." He said.
"Forgotten what?" She asked, growing even more confused. Instead of answering Tony pulled out a small box and handed it to her. Layla took it, eyeing him skeptically, and opened it. Inside was a pair of diamond earrings.
"Back on our first mission I used your earring to swap out the data crystal. You said I owed you a new diamond earring, I'm surprised you forgot." He said.
"I was joking when I said that." Layla said. Her eyes moved back and forth from the gift to the giver.
"Were you though?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Mostly." She admitted, remembering how awkward it was to only have one diamond earring. "But you only owe me one."
"Where am I gonna get a single earring?" He said. Before she could answer he continued. "Let's just say that one of them is me repaying you and the other is my gift."
"A pretty expensive gift, how much did you spend on this?" She asked.
"That doesn't matter." He said. "Not when the person receiving it is worth so much more."
"Is this how you treat all of your family?" Layla joked, not expecting a serious answer.
"No. Just the people who are very special to me." He admitted. Layla was taken aback by surprise.
"You're saying I'm special to you?" She asked.
"The most special, the specialist!" He said. She smiled as she put the earrings on.
    "So, how do I look?" She asked as she struck a pose to show off the new earrings.
    "Beautiful." Tony said. A light tint of pink spread across Layla's cheeks.
    "You're not just saying that?" She asked, quirking an eyebrow at him.
    "Of course not." He said sincerely.
    Layla wasn't sure how to respond. "Whatever, Toretto." She tried to simply brush it off, but he wouldn't let it slide.
    "I mean it Layla." He said, stepping closer. "You know, you mean a lot to me."
    Layla wasn't sure what to do so she did the first thing that came to mind. Closing the distance between them, she stepped closer and pulled him into a kiss. Tony was surprised, not all too sure if what was happening was real, but he quickly kissed back. "You mean a lot to me too, Toretto." She said once they parted.
Tony stared at her in awe with a smile on his face. It all felt too good to be true, like it was all just a dream. But if it was a dream he didn't want to wake up. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he pulled her closer and connected their lips again. Layla melted into the kiss as her arms wrapped around his neck, pulling him even closer.
    Everything around them was a blur as the sun finally set, leaving only a slight trace of pink- tinged yellow in the sky that slowly faded away. When they finally parted, the soft moonlight casting a silvery glow on their faces, Layla smiled. "About time you did that." She said.
    "I guess I should've done something sooner." Tony said, scratching the back of his neck.
    "Ya, well, it's getting dark now. What do you say we race back to the garage?" Layla said.
    "Winner gets to make the loser do whatever they want!" Tony said while running to his car.
     "Wait, what? Toretto, I didn't agree to that!" Layla said as she quickly got into her own car. But Tony was already too far away to hear her. Rolling her eyes, she stepped on the gas to catch up with him. She beat him once and she was sure she would beat him again, but no matter what the outcome of the race was, she had kissed Tony which made her already feel like a winner.