Chapter 6

After devising a general plan, Kong Tai and Feng Xin proceeded further into the cave when suddenly Kong Tai noticed something strange and felt a magnetic pull towards it.

"I'm coming!" Kong Tai's voice echoed. As they approached, Cangshui gestured towards some dark crimson stains. "Is that blood?" It certainly appeared to be.

"This is pretty old stuff," said Feng Xin. "It looks like what you get in the east. The writing style."

"You can tell that?" Cangshui asked, stepping back and letting Feng Xin get closer to the spires with talismans on them.

"Sure, different areas have different calligraphy. Read enough and it's obvious," said Feng Xin. "This looks rough, too. Like someone used something weird to write it. Like...not a brush."

"Fascinating, sir," said Cangshui. "Would you say it looks like a ward?"

"Not really. It looks like it converts things, maybe..."

There was a choking sound and Cangshui had a hold of Kong Tai from behind, arm around his neck and a crackling hand a breath away from the other deputy's cheek.

"Wow, you are smarter than you look, sir," said Cangshui, dragging the smaller deputy with him as he walked backward.

"Is this where your little friend is?" Kong Tai hissed in a choked voice.

Feng Xin stayed silent, watching.

"Oh, he's not little," laughed Cangshui. "Let me tell you how this works. You agree to give my friend whatever he wants, and I don't kill this extremely mortal nerd."

"Nerd is a little harsh," said Feng Xin, following them deeper but making sure to stay back. "Why's he letting you have all the rewards? A consenting contract with a god is a big get. Even an unrepentant rapist should be interested in a cut."

"He'll get a cut, I unsealed him, so I got the first one." As they were getting deeper into the cave, more and more bloody talismans appeared and Cangshui kept looking around, like he was expecting something.

That was unfortunate. Feng Xin had been hoping two culprits meant they had split Mu Qing's power between them. Someone with half Mu Qing's power would be easy, but he and Mu Qing had always been evenly matched, every time they fought it was a toss-up as to who would win, assuming they didn't fight till they were both unconscious. Also, this wouldn't be like fighting Mu Qing, it'd be fighting someone at Mu Qing's level with a completely different power set. And he had to make sure Kong Tai got out alive, too.

But he couldn't have Mu Qing's actual skills, right? He wished he fucking understood their fucking powers.

"Why General Xuan Zhen? Do you know him or something?" asked Feng Xin.

"What? No, I don't know him," Cangshui said distractedly. The walls were thick with blood and talismans. There was a broken altar and then further was a shrine with a statue that was so black with blood that its features were indiscernible.

Cangshui was answering questions, but Feng Xin got the feeling he wasn't just doing the dumb villain thing. He was stalling. He was expecting his friend to have already appeared...

"Then why him?"

"What? Because he was perfect. An extremely powerful guy that's terrified of seeming weak? If his little shits," he gave Kong Tai's neck a vicious squeeze, "hadn't gone to kill you, he would have never said a thing."

Feng Xin's face was blank, but Kong Tai looked like he was going to lose his mind.

"Sorry, I am trying to upset you," Cangshui laughed. "Wutong loves it when they're upset. I guess I overestimated your relationship."