Chapter 1 - Blue Monday

☽◯☾

☽◯☾

She sharply breathed out through her teeth, running steadily and trying not to bop her head at the Twilight Soundtrack, blinking away the sweat running down from her hairline and being careful not to step on any roots.

Maybe she shouldn't have gone for a run when it started to drizzle, but she'd been feeling extra energetic that day, her teeth had been on edge since she had woken up, a gut feeling that something was going to happen, so instead of taking the usual route for a walk, she had decided to go for a run in the woods.

It was fine, she knew them like the back of her hand, and the main trail was usually busy, as it led to another park. She just had to be careful in case someone was biking, but with the weather, she doubted many people would be out for an afternoon pedaling.

Hell, there were barely any people walking!

She tried not to curse with the drizzle turning into rain, slowing down after some time and frowning at the sky while Meet Me on the Equinox played in her ears; her hoodie was getting soaked, as she hadn't expected for the weather to turn like that. The sun had been out when she walked to the park, and the heavy clouds only started closing in when she got to the trail. Sure, it had been chilly, but nothing that would indicate that it'd pour.

The girl grumbled annoyedly at that, checking that her phone was protected inside her pocket and making sure her earbuds wouldn't fall out for her sprint back. There was no way she was staying there when the weather only seemed to get worse.

She noticed that the Playlist had ended, but she was not too keen on wetting her phone to put another one.

So, pulling her hood higher and taking a huffing deep breath, the girl started the trek back, pinching her lips at the violent turn of weather, that tightness in her chest and cold at the mouth of her stomach making her eyes flit around repeatedly to the woods surrounding her, the anxiety clawing up her throat.

She skidded to a stop at the feeling of dread that hit her, breath coming out erratically while her head snapped around, trying to see through the heavy rain.

Something was watching her, she could feel it.

Her hands started to shake as she walked backwards a few times, wondering if she should go back to risk getting to the other park and wait out the rain in one of the stores nearby when a low growl cut through the music; a feat on itself that had her freezing instantly, heart hammering so hard she could feel the pulse of her neck jumping against her clammy skin.

Slowly turning her head to look over her shoulder, the sight of the thing ways away on the track had tears springing from her eyes, breath shaky as the girl tried moving silently, but she knew she couldn't outrun it.

The raging and red glowing eyes sent her into a confused haze, as did its monstrous appearance, but she couldn't afford to wonder if her mind was playing tricks on her, not when she felt like she was about to retch in fear.