Chapter 2

Three years later...

Dean
I stood at my locker, grabbing my stuff, and one of my friends came up beside me, shoving her phone in my face.
"Have you seen these posts about you?" She asked.
I pushed her out of the way, shutting my locker and walking away, she followed me with her phone gripped tightly in her hands.
"Yeah, I've seen them." I said, walking faster as if that'll make her go away.
"Y-yeah, but have you seen this?" She asked, stopping me and forcing her phone into my hand.
'Did you all hear that Dean Silvers and Rhys Dawn might have a thing! It's crazy to think, but totally cliché. It's like in all of those bullshit Hollywood movies where the brainy nerd kid falls in love with the badass troublemaker that doesn't give a shit about school, it's predictable and always so obvious right from the beginning!'
I tensed only a little before I continued walking.
She rushed to catch up with me, as two steps of mine were six of her's.
She pushed a strand of brown hair out of her face and asked, "So have you seen it? What do you think?"
"It's not even close to being true, I'm not friends with him anymore and I don't like him like that. I never have." I said, even though I have felt like I liked him in the past, I definitely didn't anymore.
He was such a goody-two-shoes.
"I'm not saying that I actually believed the post..." She said as I shoved her phone back into her hand and pushed past her into my class.
I sat down in the back of the class and leaned back far in my seat.
The whole drama page is full of bullshit. I thought.

After school ended, I fished my car keys out of my pocket and unlocked it before climbing inside.
Suddenly, I saw Rhys Dawn leaning up against the brick wall of the parking lot, checking his phone over and over.
I checked my watch for the third time this minute, and kept watching him for a moment longer.
He looked around like he just got stood up for a date.
I don't give a shit about this guy, I should just go-
Then, two guys, that I recognized as Charlie and Fredrick from my fourth hour class, came barreling out of the school entrance like a couple of high idiots and started approaching Rhys with teasing looks in their eyes.
Charlie had shaggy light brown hair and hazel eyes.
Fred had bright red hair and bright orange eyes.
"Hey, faggot!" Fred called as Charlie grabbed his arm, attracting some attention.
Which was weird because I was pretty sure Charlie, his best friend, was gay.
"Let go of me-" Rhys started before Charlie pulled him toward him as if about to kiss him, but his hand placements made my chest tighten with anger.
"I didn't know you were gay..." Charlie said, leaning closer to him as Fred gave a dry laugh.
Rhys attempted pushing him away, but Charlie only got closer to him.
I stepped out of my car with clenched fists and shut the door behind me, walking up to them to intervene.
"Hey, leave him alone, guys. He didn't do anything to you." I said, as I stepped closer, bringing the attention away from Rhys and onto me.
"Ooo, what're you gonna do, Big Guy? Sell us some drugs?" Charlie asked, letting go of him and stepping up to me.
He was probably about four feet shorter than me, and Fred was about 5'5 by the looks of things.
I didn't care what either of them said or did to me, I just wanted to distract them and everyone else from Rhys.
"Fuck off." I told them, a dark tone in my voice that surprised even me.
They froze as they realized I was actually serious.
"Answer my question, what're you gonna do if we don't?" Charlie asked.
"Did I stutter? I said, fuck off."
Charlie took a step back, probably realizing he would never win in a fight with me, and looked over at Fred, who looked terrified for his life.
"Alright man, we're going." He said seriously, stepping to the side.
"But Rhys, your boyfriend here won't always be around to protect you." Charlie threatened, nearly running off with his best friend in tow.
"You got a ride?" I asked Rhys, looking over at him.
He shook his head and stared at me, "Apparently not."
"Come on, I'll drive you home." I said, walking back toward my car.

Rhys
On the way to my place, after I provided Dean with directions, I stared out the window.
"Are you okay?" Dean asked, no real concern detectable in his tone.
"I'm fine." I said, like always.
There was silence.
"I saw what those guys were doing to you, and I didn't like it." He tightened his grip on the steering wheel, keeping his eyes on the road.
I felt my muscles tense.
"Yeah, thanks, I guess." I said, maintaining posture as I sat in the passenger seat of his shiny black Volkswagen.
Dean said nothing.

When we reached my house, he pulled into the driveway.
"Thank you, seriously." I said, before opening the door.
"Yeah sure, whatever." He said as I got out and made my way up the driveway.

When I got inside, he drove away quickly.
"Sorry Rhys, your father couldn't pick you up today, I just got home and he's still at work. I forgot to text you." My mother called from the kitchen, cleaning dishes in the sink.
Of course you did, I thought, shutting my eyes briefly.
"That's fine mom, I got a ride from a friend." I said instead, making my way toward the staircase.
"Oh, who was it?" She asked, following behind me and placing a hand on the banister as I ascended the stairs.
"Oh, nobody." I opened my bedroom door at the beginning of the hall and walked inside, shutting the door behind me.
I exhaled and made my way over to my computer desk, switching it on so I could study a little for my classes tomorrow.

Later, I turned off my computer and picked up my phone, which was laying beside my keyboard a moment before.
It's 8 pm...
I put my phone down without bothering to turn it off, and walked over toward my wooden dresser.
I sat down on my bed, thinking about my interaction with Dean today.
Suddenly, my phone went off and I walked over to my desk, picking it up.
It was from Dean.
'Hey, you left your bag in my car.' It read.
I looked around, I hadn't even realized it was not here before this text.
'Oh, thank you for letting me know.'
'Sure. I'll give it back to you tomorrow at school. Just meet me out at the parking lot.'
'Got it. I'll be there.'
I set an alarm on my phone for seven thirty in the morning before turning it off, setting it on my bedside table, getting into bed and drifting off.