Chapter 39

Monday, September 18th

Riley's POV

Autumn took the bait.

Lately, I have lied a lot to her but I keep reminding myself that it is for a good reason.

I lied about the 'break in down the street' to change the locks and add the security system that she knows about. I lied about wanting to go on a double date so the guys could add the cameras. I lied about Harry by telling her that he is a good guy, because at this point who even knows if that is true. Now, I am lying about today and dragging my mom into it. I don't feel great about it, but I know it is better this way.

"Nancy is gonna' be so stoked when she sees us. I know it's only been like a month, but you have changed so much Rye! Also, it's been storming nonstop all day so I am happy we aren't going to be stuck in the apartment or attempting to go to class." Autumn was fiddling with the controls of Harry's car and loving the fact that it was so fancy. She's brought up how expensive and nice his car is at least ten times during the ride. "Also, quick question... why did Harry insist we take his car this morning?"

"I told you. I left my vehicle at his place and he wanted us to get on the road before the storm." I shrug her off and nonchalantly give a fake excuse. "But I could have drove us." She bickers back to me.

"Yeah but... you know Harry. Plus he thinks you drive like a maniac so he said it would make him feel better if I drove." -Riley

"He is way too protective over you. I'm telling you, I know it's love and I can see it." Even though Autumn was busy skimming radio stations she would give me a side eye every few moments to gauge my responses. I attempted to remain neutral, but sometimes lying to Autumn was really difficult.

I wanted to tell her so much more, and just get someone's opinion. I want to know I am not crazy and I am not in too deep in... whatever this is. I didn't notice how quiet I was after Autumn's statement, but she did. She picks up on that kind of thing with me more often than I like to admit.

"Are you okay?" she stops her restless hands to place one on my thigh. Her pale skin was in contrast to the tan on my legs. Autumn's only color usually was in her bright hair, blue eyes, and nail polish. This week she opted for a bright green with orange flowers painted on them. I was unsure if she did it herself or went out to get it done, because really I have been so MIA that even if she told me I wouldn't have registered it.

My eyes take a moment to shift between the road ahead and Autumn's piercing eyes that were practically begging for me to have some sort of a break down and confide in her. I took note of the change in her tone when she asked, because it became delicate and almost soft. Autumn was the embodiment of soft and calm today.

Autumn rushed us out of the house while putting her hair in a tan claw clip that matched her outfit perfectly. She was in a trendy oversized and baggy knit set that was closer to loungewear than actual clothes. The outfit was a caramel tan color and had a few buttons at the top of the shirt that was far too baggy on her small frame, along with some matching shorts that had the same textured look to them.

I should have picked out one of the same similar sets that Autumn's parents had put in my closet, but I decided to keep on what I had since it was one of Harry's shirts.

Out of habit I looked down at the shirt and my mind reeled with the thoughts of Harry which formed a smile on my face.

Today I had on some of my black biker shorts, some simple sneakers, and one of Harry's old oversized band shirts. It was probably black once upon a time, but over the years it has faded into a charcoal gray and had a small hole in the seam near my shoulder. The shirt itself was a picture of the Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac, one I knew Harry to enjoy because I have overheard him sing along to it in his car under his breath.