Chapter 7: FMC

"Hey! Come on! Let me in!" The muffled voice says, pounding on the door after each word.

"Who the hell is that?" I say, hand shooting to the gun strapped to my thigh.

Leon is already moving towards the door, gun aimed. He holds out an arm, palm held up to keep me away. "Stay back; they could be dangerous.

"I know you're in there, I saw the smoke—let me in," the man's voice says, the end of each word flared with a Spanish accent. "They're coming!"

Leon throws me a look, assessing as if to weigh his options. "Get down. I'm going to open the door."

"Sure that's the best option?" I question.

"Just trust me," he says swiftly, moving past me towards the door.

I watch him, trusting him even if I'm terrified of who might be waiting on the other side. I crouch, following his order but still keeping an eye on him.

The pounding on the door continues as Leon walks up, gun aimed, releasing the lock and turning the knob.

It slams open, and Leon jumps back; a man with long dark hair runs in, soaked from the rain. I hold in a scream as Leon aims his gun at the stranger. The man locks the door and shoves a chair in front of it before facing us.

"You," Leon holsters his gun, stalking towards the man with predatory intent.

Confusion warps the man's features. "Hey...Listen, about earlier, I—" The dark-haired man raises his arms up defensively, but Leon corners him, and the man finds himself backed up against a wall.

"Yeah, about that," Leon says, shoving a fist into the man's chest and pinning him to the wall.

The stranger lets out a grunt.

I stand, moving closer to the men. Clearly, this dark-haired man isn't crazed like the others. Somehow they must know each other, but he could still be a threat.

I lock eyes with the stranger.

"Hey, I see you found your missing señorita," he says with a devious smile, tone suggestive. Leon turns his head to look at me.

I walk closer to get a better look at them, curiosity taking over. "The señorita has a name," I say lazily. "And you are?"

"Name's Luis," he says, eyeing me from head to toe, arms still raised in surrender as Leon keeps a tight fist pinned to his chest. "Encantado."

"Great. We all have names. Now then—" Leon says, shoving his fist deeper into the man's chest, causing Luis to wince. "Who are you? And what're you doing here?"

"Very good questions," Luis says through a pained breath. "Unfortunately..." His dark eyes dart towards the windows.

A bang sounds from outside, the slam of a wooden door cracking against stone. Leon and I turn to the disturbance beyond the windows, Luis' interrogation forgotten.

We look outside to see a mob of villagers pouring in, breaking down the wooden gates. The sun is going down, the light slipping away and leaving us in the dimness of dusk. Some villagers hold torches to light their way, while others hold deadly weapons with the promise to use them on us.

Leon turns to me. "Hide, now!"

"What? No fucking way," I say, removing my gun from the holster at my thigh and gripping it with both hands, not daring to break Leon's stare.

Muscles flex in that strong jawline, anger flaring in his blue eyes.

Luis comes up behind us and says, "Let the chica fight. We're going to need it."