1

Chapter One - Friendships

Faye West's P.O.V.

A woman with jet black hair tied up in a bun that's now messy scrambles to put away her things as I watch her from my seat. Her tortoise shell glasses have slipped to perch on the tip of her nose and if she moves any faster they might just come right off. Her dark brows are furrowed with worry as her hazel eyes hastily look around to see if she's got everything before they settle on me.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" Julia frets as she picks up her handbag.

"I'll be fine! Go and enjoy your date night!" I wave off her concern with a reassuring smile.

She hesitates before nodding. "Alright. You have my number so if you need anything text me."

"I will." I chuckle knowing well that I won't pester her while she's out. "Have fun!"

"See you tomorrow Faye!" She waves goodbye and rushes towards the door.

I watch her go with an amused smile. Julia is the head librarian at Hayden Library in Massachusetts Institute of Technology where I study. She hired me to work as a library assistant before I started the first semester. We're currently in the second semester, it being February, and she still worries over me but I find it endearing.

I turn back to the computer screen before glancing down at my notes. I'm trying to get some studying done for a test in a few days. Since I mostly work the late shifts it's quiet enough for me to memorize things successfully but I'm having a hard time with this topic. Why did I choose to study Biology again? I wonder to myself with a frustrated sigh.

Linking my fingers, I rest my chin on top of them as I stare out at the open room. There's rows upon rows of books everywhere with a few tables ahead of me. My heart pangs painfully though when I spot a group of friends laughing quietly and joking around as they leave the library. I haven't made a single friend yet ever since I started college and truthfully I'm beginning to lose hope.

Not getting anyone as my dorm roommate doesn't help either. I had hoped that I would make my first friend that way but apparently the person who was supposed to live with me dropped out before college began. I should've seen it coming when nobody showed up for the first week. When I told my brother, Abel, he exclaimed that I was lucky to have the place all to myself. I didn't feel the same way.

"Excuse me?" A boy interrupts my thoughts and I flinch as a reflex before quickly recovering. "Could you help me with the machine? It won't scan my books."

"Sure!" I reply and make my way around the desk.

After helping him checkout his books I get busy with assisting others and putting back books that were returned. By the time I return to my desk there's only an hour left until my shift ends. I rush forward when I see a girl waiting and greet her with a wide smile. She's a gorgeous redhead with long wavy hair, blue eyes and flawless skin that looks slightly tan because of the warm lighting here.

"Hi! Can I help you with anything?"

"Yeah...do you have this book?" She mumbles as she fishes out a piece of paper with the name scrawled across it.

"It was checked out a lot this week but we should have a copy or two left. Let me check on our system." I hum as I type it into the database.

"That's because Langley failed a few people. Fucking piece of shit!" She rolls her pretty eyes before crossing her arms on the table and leaning in to look at the screen. "If I don't get that book today I'm going to fail the stupid subject!"