Chapter Seventeen

Alpha Kayson of Red Mountain

The Alpha of Black Mountain sat on his haunches, huffing as I cautiously stepped between the trees and into his view. Alpha Bronze had called me an hour ago, asking to meet on neutral territory. I had initially turned him down, but the desperation in his voice and the fact that he swore on both Mother Goddesses that he would not harm me drove me to shift into my wolf and meet with him.

He shifts to his human form, picking up the shorts that he must've carried with him in his mouth. I drop my own clothes and shift before pulling them on. "Alpha Bronze.", I greeted.

"Alpha Kayson, I appreciate you coming to meet me. There's something I wish to discuss with you regarding your Gamma, Winnie Melbourne.", he says.

I stiffen and straighten my posture, staring at him and analyzing him. "If this is about the fight two years ago, I have already reassured you that it would not happen again. Gamma Winnie has been nowhere near your borders in the past two years.", I say, barely containing a snarl.

Alpha Bronze shakes his head and paces. "I know of her four fated mates.", he says quickly, cutting straight to the chase. "I know the night of your initiation ceremony, it was her twentieth birthday. I was there, yes, but I had dosed my wolf on silver so I couldn't feel the matebond if there was one."

"Why?", I ask, dumbfounded. Why would someone not want to find their mate?

"I'll ruin her. My pack is brutal and I know she can survive with us, but she has been through enough pain. When Black Mountain heard about what happened to the Shadow Wolf and the amount of pain she had to endure, we were shook to the core. Bringing into a pack where there is pain everyday, it will only destroy her.", he confesses.

"If this was any other female you were talking about, I would kill you right now. But Gamma Winnie is fully capable of taking care of herself. She has entered into The Salvation Trials and will need at least two of her mates by her side. One from each Goddess. She has found Mother Selene's male. Will you allow her to find Mother Mene's?", I inquire with a raised eyebrow.

The Alpha of Black Mountain sighs, his shoulders sagging. "I don't know. I've always wanted a mate and I knew I would be kind to her and love her, I would change for her. But with how everything is now, I don't know if I can be the male Gamma Winnie needs."

"You don't know what kind of male Gamma Winnie needs because you don't know her. Get to know her, see if she is your mate, and if she is, then go from there. Stop thinking about the future when you haven't even set the stepping stones using the present."

He nods but doesn't say anything else and I take my chance. I quickly mindlink Gamma Winnie, sending out a message that makes her think I'm in trouble. "Gamma Winnie, I need your help. Something's not right. Use the bond to find me."

I feel her worry immediately and the urgency she is displaying. The bond between us opens and she probes my mind, trying to see through my eyes to find my surroundings the easy way. I slam my eyes close and chuckle at her frustration before she starts relying solely on the packbond.

"What's so funny?", Alpha Bronze snarls.

"Gamma Winnie is on her way. You might have your mate running over her ready to kill you on sight.", I laugh.

His face pales and he groans. "Oh, fuck me."