Meaning of Surah An-Nisa' (The Women)

While Surah Al 'Imran heavily focused on the social and political dynamics between the Muslims and the People of the Book, Surah al-Nisa' shifts the focus to the personal dynamics between families. It begins by reminding us that Allah created us in a way in which we are all essentially related. Thus, familial relationships are part of our human identity and must be respected as a sacred bond. Each member of the family has sacred rights that must be maintained. Therefore, Allah introduces the rights of women and children. Men were generally created to have a natural physical dominance over them, and therefore, have the greatest responsibility to protect their rights.

Firstly, Allah makes mention of the rights of children, specifically those whom Allah has taken that family bond away from, namely the orphan. We must take special care in watching over them and their affairs, particularly in how their wealth is managed. Since the capital of an orphan's wealth is almost exclusively acquired through inheritance, the issue of inheritance needs to be addressed first so that it is not left up to others to interpret it to their own advantage. Allah delves into the minute details regarding the rightful shares due to each of the immediate family members of the deceased, highlighting that these guidelines are clear boundaries that must not be violated.

Next, Allah instructs the community on how to safeguard the reputation of their women by protecting them from slander and false accusations of sexual misconduct. Simultaneously, He describes the nature of repentance for those who commit sexual deviance and shows that the door of forgiveness is always open as long as the individual is not at the cusp of death. Allah follows this by dismantling the oppressive practices of the Arabs who used to inherit women without consent, treat them poorly in marriages, or usurp their wealth. Allah also abolishes incestuous marriages by specifying every type of relationship that falls under that category.

Juz 5: "Social Reform"
AYAT 24-32

Continuing on from the end of Juz 4 and the instructions Allah has set on safeguarding the sanctity of women, Allah establishes the right of women to have dowries, and to marry in a dignified public manner that maintains their good reputation. In the event that a person violates the sanctity that Allah gave them, Allah reminds us of the forms of repentance that can restore their status with Allah and that the door of repentance is always open and made easy for us.

As for those who believe and do good deeds, We shall admit them into Gardens graced with flow-ing streams and there they will remain forever. They will have pure spouses there, and We shall admit them into cool refreshing shade." (4:57)

Since the protection of dowries falls within the broader category of financial rights, Allah emphasizes that it is prohibited to usurp the wealth of anyone. He further discourages us from envying the different favours that He has given men and women, and that each have their share of what is good in their own way. The more we understand this concept, the more people would be safeguarded from scheming and violating each other's rights for the sake of "getting ahead" in this life. Moreover, the rulings of this sections also apply to family relationships, where inheritance is often unlawfully seized or where family members use their blood relationships to wrongfully take advantage of each other.

AYAT 33-57

In this section, Allah turns our attention to safeguarding the sanctity of His Word because when that is violated, the rights of humanity cannot be appropriately upheld.

The section begins with instructions on preserving the sanctity of our minds by avoiding alcohol – especially during prayer – and also preserving the sanctity of prayer spaces (the masjids). As long as the mind is clear and the places of worship are pure, the Book of Allah will remain protected from being tampered with.