Mommy Dearest (Day 3)

I was woken to the sound of knocking in the early morning. It jolted me awake, and I stumbled down the stairs to the front door, and regretted opening it without looking through the peephole first almost immediately. 

Standing on my front step was my mother with her arms folded and a smug look on her face. "It is eight twenty-three in the morning, and you're not even dressed? You look like you just crawled out of bed, " she said with a quick glance at her watch to get the precise time. I was fully awake then. "Well? Do you have anything to say for yourself? Just because you got all that money and a free house out of that old bat doesn't mean you get to laze about all day Are you even going to invite your own mother in and offer her coffee? Really, you always were so disrespectful." Only a scoff left her as she pushed her way inside and started poking around. I've never let my mother push me around like that before, but she woke me from one of the weirdest dreams I have ever had.

When I shut the door and followed her in, she continued on, "This house always was so ugly, but you've somehow managed to make it exec uglier. Like, what is that even supposed to be? Some weird statement art? Headless....Things....Are not art." As soon as she mentioned headless, my attention peaked and I rushed to see what she was talking about. Sure enough, Barnaby was missing his head, and it was nowhere in sight. Before I had the chance to address it, though, she had moved into the kitchen and continued to talk. "This really is too much house for a childless, recently single woman Y/N. You should just hand it over to your brother and his friends. They'd put good use to this old house and all this space."

That was the last straw. 

"This is my house, Linda. Me-maw gave it to me because you married a rich doctor and can afford to buy Braden a brand new house. She gave it to me because she knew that I would appreciate and take care of it instead of letting a bunch of spoiled college boys destroy it." I snapped at her. "If you only came here to try and get me to give up my rightful property, then you can leave because neither you nor Braden will every get a thing from me." With that, her jaw dropped, and she stared at me for a couple of seconds before it became a glare and he let out a huff, and stomped her way out the door.

I let out a sigh of relief and slumped into a wall with my head in my hands. I stayed there for a couple of minutes while I tried to wrap my head around what just happened because I was still waking up.

What a great start to the day.