10.

I tossed and turned in my bed, unable to sleep. All sorts of thoughts were running through my head and keeping me awake. And when I finally fell into a restless sleep, I was haunted by strange dreams.

I saw Shira and the Governor again, heard the sound of breaking bones, the grey shards of his eyes bored into mine as the body slowly sank to my feet.

And the whole scene made me laugh.

I woke up all sweaty and shaking, with wet hair stuck to the back of my neck.

It was morning. Or rather, noon. I reached for my mobile. Eleven o'clock and four missed calls. Maya, Maya, the director, Maya.

Before I could dial Maya's number, the doorbell rang. I opened the door and found her standing there.

"What's going on?" I asked after I showed my friend in and offered her a drink.

"I called you three times." 

Something was obviously wrong. Maya looked nervous, uncertain.

"You left early yesterday, I was looking for you." Her tired eyes studied my face. It was only now that I noticed how exhausted she looked. "We have to do something."

"About what?"

"About Shira."

"Shira?" I didn't understand.

"They're going to execute him!" she blurted out, lowering her head wearily. "I was up all night thinking and thinking and then..." she forced a laugh. "I must have lost my mind. I almost went and helped him escape."

"You're..." I searched for the right words and failed. "Are you in love with him?"

Maya lifted her head and looked at me. Then she laughed in despair, it wasn't a pleasant sound.

"I'm so stupid," she continued, not denying it. "I knew what he was trying to do and I thought I wasn't so naive to fall for it. But now? He's got me. With his sweet talk, his perfect face and..." she paused.

"I know he played me," she said in a whisper after a while, "but I can't get him out of my mind!"

Neither could I.

Maya lowered her head, dark hair covering the girl's face. Still, I could see tears in her eyes.

"How could I be so stupid?" she sobbed. "I'm an idiot."

"Don't be so hard on yourself," I tried to calm Maya down, patting her back gently. "You're not the only idiot here."

"What do you mean?" she wondered, her reddened eyes suddenly bright with curiosity. "Are you saying that you too...?"

"Let's just say you're not the only one who can't get him out of their head," I sighed and stood up.

"Where are you going?"

"To get us some drinks. We're going to need something stronger for this conversation."

~~~

After three shots, we both began to talk. Maya described her visits to Shira's cell and their conversations. I felt guilty, I was the one who dragged her into this case.

And then I was speaking.

"You're really attracted to him?" wondered Maya, taking another shot. "I mean... um... sexually?"

I considered her question, too drunk to be embarrassed.

"I don't know," I shook my head, running my fingers through strands of dark brown hair. "Maybe. I'm confused."