Back to Manhattan

"WAIT!"  The merman stopped the guards before they could hang him.  He swam forward and uncovered Ian's unconscious face.  He had second of air left in him.  "Before you kill this mortal, we must torture him.  A quick death is unfair."

"He's already nearly dead!"  I shouted from below him.  He glanced down at me and a smirk grew across his face, a devious twinkle in his black soulless eyes.  He swam up to me and perched my chin in his bony fingertips.

"You must be the one my eyes and ears spoke of."  He whispered and whisked me to the middle of the arena.  "Why don't we have some fun today?!"  He announced to the crowds who cheered. 

"Let me go."  I tried to say, but he pinched my cheeks and carelessly took Ian by the ear.

"You are quite the miscievous little human aren't you?!"  He said loudly.  I noticed Adrian watching from the corner of my eye.  His hands were chained and held by two guards, his lips forming a sad frown.  I tried to break free.

"Bring in the Aquamarine!"  The merman nodded towards the gates that opened to reveal a gorgeous blue gem that glistened on the pedistal a group of guards were carrying. "Now this little girl is under a spell you see.  But we shall trade her tail for his legs!" 

My eyes widened and so did everyone else's in the whole arena.  I could hear their eerie whispered, I could feel their cold glares on me.  I looked down at my tail and back at the Aquamarine.  Could it really take away my tail, my mermaid spell?

"Prepare yourselves."  The merman said and began to recite the strange spell that I figuredwould control the gem.

I glanced back at Adrian who was glaring at me in disgust, his dark eyes like piercing daggers, looking into my soul and killing every last bit of me.

Suddenly, a numbness was creeping up from my fins as they scales began to dull and take the pale chalky pigment I was used to.  I glanced at Ian, who's tan legs were growing patches of silvery scales, his legs melding together as mine split apart into two long legs.  The Aquamarine shined a blueish light on us and once the transformation was complete, an unbearable surged up through both of our bodies making us scream in agony, yet I could no longer breath and had to close my eyes since the salty water was too dense. 

Someone grabbed me, and before long, the entire watery world went completely...black.

____________

"Urgh,"  I moaned as I slowly opened my eyes to the call of seagulls.  I was laying on the beach, the waves gently touching my toes.  No transformation.  No tail.

I managed to stand up and had to nearly drag myself up the beach and into the house.  Once again, no one was home, but I wasn't surprised to see a note on the counter.  I opened it up and read;

Elly,

If you return home, we have gone back to New York to search for you.  We're very sorry about Ian's death and we know how hard it was on you.  Please forgive us.

- Mom

I carefully folded the letter and sighed.  A bus ticket to Manhattan fell out on the floor and I picked it up.

"You're not leaving are you?"  Armeta tapped her glossy nails against the counter.

"I have to.  Ian's 'funeral' is in a few days and the owners of this house are coming back not long after."  I said as I wrinkled my noise to the salty dead fish smell that used to be so enjoyable.

"I'll doubt you'll miss it.  You're no longer mer I see," she stared at my legs blankly.

"I wouldn't have to if you hadn't told me the book 'called for me," I said gravely.  Armeta raised a slender eyebrow.

"It did Elly.  It was destiny that called that book to you," she handed me the book.  "It may not even be magic,"  she gave a devious smirk before disappearing.

____________

"Be careful on your trip, alright?"  My mom asked as I lugged my bags onto the city bus while holding my cell phone under my shoulder.

"I will.  I just boarded, see you tonight."

"Bye..eh-have a nice trip dear," she sounded like she wanted to say more but hung up instead. 

I listened to the sad voices of artists on my ipod as the bus took a short stop on the highway.  A couple people even screamed as the driver nervously opened the door.

A man with shades that blocked out his eyes, tousled black hair and a cold expression on his face.  He was wearing a thick black leather jacket, dark jeans, gloves and boots.  it seemed like he wanted no one to see his body.

"Is a girl by the name of Elly on this bus?"  The man asked and I instantly knew who it was.  Adrian, with legs?  I hesitated to jump out of my seat, but he easily found me.

"You need to come with me,"  he whispered and lowered his shades to reveal his gorgeous dark eyes.  I noticed everyone was staring so I meakly nodded.  He surprisingly picked me up in his arms and ran off the bus and into the woods where he raced back in the direction of the sea.

"Where are we going!?"  I yelled at him.

"You'll have to see..."  he said mysteriously and picked up his pace as we ran through the woods to the greatest danger that I had yet to discover...

_____________________

End of part one.