CHAPTER 1: BIRTH

Queens, New York - 12. June 2015

A woman dressed in a hospital suit entered the hospital room at the fourth floor in the New York Hospital in Queens. In front of her was a woman in pain. She sat in a seated position in her bed. She was only hours away from labor. She knew how painful the birth of her firstborn would be. She'd heard many horrifying stories from her friends, which clearly didn't help. Her room was filled with flowers from roses to flourishing plants. They had been gifts from her closest family and friends. Her husband's family hadn't been in touch with anyone of them. She didn't find it weird at all. Giving birth as a seventeen-year-old teenager was never her plan, but it was happening.

"How are you feeling, Ms. Jones?" The nurse asked. Ms. Jones replied with a grunt. She truly was in pain. Her contractions had been bad for the last hours. The nurse put her hands on Ms. Jones's stomach and felt her pregnant belly.

"Your baby's fine so far into labor. Your contractions show that you're only a few hours away from receiving the baby. Are you excited?" She gave her nurse an acknowledging nod. She replied with a slight smile before she pushed the button on her pager.

"We're having you moved to the birth department. So you can receive in peace and with a doctor available at all times." She was having her baby any time now.

Her contractions had worsened when more nurses came into her room to push her away. The walls in the hallway area were plain white. She hated it, mostly because anything could make the walls look dirty. What if someone came and massacred people in the hospital. The walls would be painted red by the second. Sometimes she's shocked by her ways of thinking. What will her baby look like, is it a boy or a girl? What will the baby become as an adult? Like her mother — a creative singer? Or doing business like her dad?

At this point, they pushed her into an elevator from across her room. Her vision had started to blur a bit from all the pain from her contractions. She uttered a painful groan, which quickly turned into a shout. Her crying rang in the elevator and her nurses felt as if their ears would fall off.

"I NEED SOME ANESTHETICS RIGHT NOW!" Some soft whispers from the nurses started. She was furious at them, especially from their lack of care for her.

"WOULD YOU ALL QUIT YOUR MUMBLING AND GET ME... FUCK!" Her water broke before she managed to finish her complaint. The nurses all went blank. Still calm, to the point of losing their minds. The elevator started to move, and with between every second floor her screaming returned. Her contractions increased rapidly. Her labor came to a point where she felt as if her hips got shredded. So much pain - almost an unbearable pain caused by the little creature inside her.

The elevator came to a halt. The nurses met each other's eyes with an agreement before their feet went a few inches backward, and they started jogging to the birth department. She got dizzy from the sudden movement. She was relieved that they could ease some of her pain soon. She started hyperventilating, as they got closer to the big door that said "birth department". Once inside, her doctor gave her a handshake. A grey-haired woman with a plain white doctor uniform. Her nametag said, Morgan. She looked calm and nice. Like, she had recently only passed forty years.

"She has gone in labor, and seriously needs some anesthetics right now!" Her main nurse said. Her nurse reminded her of her sister Jessica. She could have sworn that her nurse probably wasn't much older than twenty-five. Dr. Morgan gave her a sweet smile before they continued pushing her into her assigned birth room.

Her room was painted with a modern cafe latte colored walls. It looked refreshing in a way that made her calmer. Her screaming though didn't get any better, but it wasn't only her screams she could hear. The birth rooms in this hospital weren't soundproof by any means. Today, there were a few other people in labor. She could see the contours through her snow-covered glass walls to her left. They actually had glass windows that headed in the direction of the hallway in every operation room. You could only see the contours of the happenings from the other side.