YESTERDAY

On 22 February, the Beatles began shooting their second film, "Help!". On 22 February, the Beatles began filming their second movie, "Help! The first filming destination was the Bahamas.

Annette Tapper’s (Phil Spector’s ex-wife): I met them in March 1965, during the height of Beatlemania. A friend invited me to the Bahamas for the filming of the beach scenes in Help. (...) Paul McCartney was on the phone having an argument with his girlfriend, Jane Asher. She was upset that he had been away so long and he was promising to call once or twice a day.

They then travelled to Austria, on this part of the trip they were accompanied by Maureen Starkey, Cynthia Lennon and Pattie Boyd. The only "Beatle girl" not present was Jane, who had acting commitments. On their return to London they began recording at Twickenham Studios, Jane took the opportunity to visit Paul.

Henry Grossman (photographer): That day I met Paul's girlfriend Jane Asher (she wasn't with us in Austria). She was wonderful. Jane was a famous actress in England and together they were a famous couple. I thought they were a lovely couple.

I took a picture of them together in the temple

I took a picture of them together in the temple. At some point, George interrupted the photo session, took some pictures and caused everyone's amusement. The kids were always laughing.

Barry Miles: When Paul was filming Help! in the spring of 1965, the fans gathered outside the front door in such a mob that Dr Asher devised an escape route out of the back of the building from Paul's attic room

Barry Miles: When Paul was filming Help! in the spring of 1965, the fans gathered outside the front door in such a mob that Dr Asher devised an escape route out of the back of the building from Paul's attic room. After donning his boiler suit, he climbed out of the window and reconnoitred the route himself, tapping on the windows of the startled residents. When the occupants opened their windows to him, he explained, in his impeccable upper-class accent, that he had a chap staying with him who needed a discreet method of ingress and egress to his premises and would it be all right if he occasionally climbed across their roof? Amazingly they all agreed, and Paul was able to slip out and into Browning Mews behind Wimpole Street and away. Dr Asher enjoyed it all enormously.