prologue

Jing Yuan pressed a gently kiss to y/n's knuckles. His lips were warm to the touch, or maybe that was y/n's skin he was feeling as heat radiated between them.

"I'll miss you, beloved."

The young prince chuckled. The kiss against his knuckles searing itself into his memories.

"Beloved," he mocked, "there's no need for such petnames here. I know you don't feel a thing for me. We barely even know each other. Sure, we heard of one another, but that's not the same. We were just forced to be in an arranged marriage. So, there's no need to call me beloved when that's not what I am to you."

Jing Yuan brought his lips away from y/n's searing skin. His eyes watching the prince carefully as a lazy smirk flitted across his lips.

"You seem so sure."

"That's because I am."

The general chuckled lightly before cupping the prince's face. His palm encasing his cheek as his thumb traced lazy circles onto y/n's skin, "what if I told you that you were wrong?"

Y/n snorted, "oh yeah, sure. And the next thing you'll tell me is that pigs can fly. Nice try, General. But I know you feel nothing for me. For some prince who was just thrown at you like some piece of meat trying to be sold off in the market."

"You have quite the way with words."

"Your sarcasm isn't needed and stop trying to change the subject."

Jing Yuan let his hand travel from y/n's cheek, down his jaw, and finally to the back of his neck. Yuan's eyes glinting as he heard y/n's breath catch for a moment before even out. The general smirking at the small action before tugging him closer.

"What if I proved it to you?"

"Proved what?"

"Proved that I do feel something for you?"

Y/n rolled his eyes, "good luck with that, but sure. You're welcome to try."

Jing Yuan took up the invitation. His head bending as he leant down to y/n'a height. His lips catching onto the prince's, catching y/n off guard. Their lips molded together. And Jing Yuan felt that same heat again. Was it y/n radiating that heat? Was it himself? He couldn't tell, and he couldn't care. He just wanted more. More than he deserved.

Then, all to quickly, their shared kiss came to an end. Jing Yuan was quick to be met with a frown as y/n stared up at him, "anyone can kiss another. But it doesn't mean anything."

The general burst with a laugh, "it seems that nothing can prove to you that I truly do feel something for you!"

Y/n turned away within Jing Yuan's hold, his eyes narrowing, lips forming a somewhat angry scowl/pout, and his face seeming to get a red tint in his (color) skin.

"There is ... one way you could prove that I am something more to you than just some arranged marriage you were forced into."

"And what would that be," Yuan mused.

"After the war.. when you come back and see me. And you still want to be with me no matter how much time has passed.. then i'll believe you. Does that sound fair to you?"

"All is fair in love and war."

"Will it hurt you to give me a proper answer, general?"

"Decidingly so."