One Box of Chocolates

Book Two in the Haunted Speakeasy Trilogy

By KL Tice (c) 2023

This is a work of pure fiction. Any part, place or person resembling that of the living or dead is purely coincidental. See book one for full disclaimer.

Chapter 1

Ribbons of inky, black water flowed down the roadway before her. It rolled down the window she was trying to look out. She mused if maybe she should "build an ark" like her dad always joked about when it rained. His humor, as bad as it was, always cheered her up. She wished he was here now.

She was missing her brother too. Gone into Marine Air Corps. He was now "Government Property." And they pretty much ruled his life. He was the last remaining member of her family. Her dad had passed just shy of a year ago but, it still seemed like yesterday.

She stood silently wondering where her life was gonna lead.

A large cat walked up to her on the other side of the glass, completely drenched and crying for help.

Her heart went out him and she ran over to the door. The bell on the old hook rang as she opened it and for a second, she was afraid it would spook him off. But no, the poor cat came running in and shaking himself off, sending water all over the carpet runner. He was so happy to get in.

"Well, hello there! Let me get you a towel. She quickly locked and bolted the store door.

She walked through the heavy set of dark red, velvet curtains that separated her living space from the store and picked up a towel off the hook behind the bathroom door.

The very wet, furry beast had been following her, purring loudly all the way. She sat down on the old couch and the cat jumped up next to her.

As she rubbed his fur with the towel, he rubbed his head into her. "My you are a friendly thing aren't you?" he was a big but not fat cat. He was all muscles. Orange strips and one ear that had the tip missing. He had gone through a T.N.R. (trap neuter return) program ran by the local Vet two streets over.

That was a relief, at least she would not have to worry about getting him fixed.

"I suppose I should give you a name. Hm, Tiger? No, that's too common. Fang, No... You have great "vampire" teeth but... How about Victor? That suits you. A nice powerful name for a powerful, young, manly cat. He started licking her and was just loving all over her.

"Ok then. Victor it is. I'm Emily and you are now part of the Thomas family. Of course we are not a big family. It's just you and me so..." She rubbed his head, "I'm really glad you are here.

Chapter 2

Ed sat there with the pen in his hand and a very blank page setting before him. In the cockpit of his jet was a silence he had become accustom to enjoying. Not having to fly any more maneuvers that day, and having a place that was not a noisy barracks was wonderful.

It also gave him a place to release his emotions a bit, that he had been hiding from everyone around him. A Marine Airman was not suppose to cry. You are taught to turn your emotions from hurt or fear to anger because it allows you to keep moving forward and think about what needs to be done. Normally he could stuff them inside but, today had been exceptionally difficult for Edward.

Basic and flight training were over and he was exhausted. And with that exhaustion came the longing for home. Only home was no longer the home he used to have.

With his dad now gone and his sister taking over the family business, the Marines seemed like the best place to find purpose and meaning from the emptiness he felt inside.