Chapter 3

It was astounding how different two lives that were connected could look so different in the same time span. Whilst Ruby basked in the presence of her best friend, in their love and closeness, Rosalie was going back to the Cullen residence after taking the lives of two men, with no knowledge that the witch that would change her life was less than four hours away. Had life turned out any differently, that was the closest their souls would have been to meeting. So close, yet so far.

Alas, neither knew of the existence of the other. Not yet, at least.

The blonde was angsty with revenge. Her veins itched with the need to rid the earth of those demons, to make sure no other woman ever fell victim to their claws. Her entrails churned and tightened. She needed them gone in order to finally sit with her thoughts, to allow the weight of everything that had happened to her to sink down her body.

"So you really killed them?" Edward's voice broke through the silence of the room Carlisle had designated as hers days after the murders. "News is spreading about a psychotic killer that took the lives of the Hubert brothers. Essentially tortured them both without spilling a drop of blood. And apparently, some men have been receiving threatening letters from this killer."

"What do you want, Edward?"

"Don't you think it'll serve you better just to move on? Killing those men will accomplish nothing in the long run," he said. "Even if you think you're ridding the world of these monsters, they will be replaced by three more. That's the world we live in."

"Just because you can hear my thoughts doesn't mean that you know me," she spoke through gritted teeth. "If you're here to stop me from going through with my plan, then I will save you time. Carlisle could not get me to desist, and you certainly would not be able to."

"I'm just saying, Rosalie. It won't help you in the long run to take their lives. You'll live with them in the back of your mind for eternity. It's not an existence you'd want."

"This is already an existence I don't want, Edward. And their faces are already embedded in my head because of what they did to me. They took everything I hold dear. They took everything from me! The least I can do is take their lives. And I certainly don't need a morality course from you."

Edward's words died in his throat at that moment, and Rosalie was thankful for that. The last thing she wanted was to listen to a man who thought he was better than everyone around him because he could hear their thoughts. It didn't take long for her to figure him out. He believed he was above scrutiny. He was arrogant and entitled. And he made it all that easy to get over the fact that he did not find her attractive –not that she'd let him know. It was the thought that would protect everything she really felt.

"Well, then. If that is all, I will ask you to leave," she smiled. "I have better things to do."

Rosalie had nothing to do, in reality. As she let fear fester in the other three men, she did not know what to do with her days. She couldn't leave the house because she was meant to be missing. She felt no desire to do any of the things she loved. Not even work on the 1928 Series 341-A blue Cadillac Carlisle had bought her to fix up. The only thing she could do was grow the fear inside the surviving monsters. To make sure they were sleeping with one eye open as they awaited their reckoning. Once that was over, she truly did not know what she would do with her life after.

What Rosalie did know was where Ulysses Levitt lived.

The boy came from new money, but he thought he was larger than life. Everyone in town knew where his family's money had come from, and it wasn't through the most legal of methods. Still, they were untouchable. Their money and their reputation made sure of that. They were safe from humans. Safe from the law raining fire down on their house and their businesses. But it didn't protect their child from an immortal beauty dressed in the finest clothes. It didn't keep him from becoming the next name on her revenge list.