chapter twenty eight. stay healthy

Hope's back is firmly against the window as she sits beside Jace, her legs placed warmly on his lap. She took her cap off, placing it next to her, she had gotten changed into old clothes she left in the Jade Wolf when she was sixteen, she had grown since then so everything felt tight but her hair seemed to cover the parts of her back that her shirt revealed.

"Why would Valentine tell a prisoner what he was planning?" Clary seemed to ask all the questions Hope was thinking of.

"He didn't, not directly but he gave me a way to find it out." Michael looked down at the table as Hope stared at him, her gaze heavy, like she was trying to unmask him in some way.

"How so?" Jace leaned over to get closer to his father but Hope rested her hand on his stomach, making him sit back.

"He injected me with Downwolder blood." Michael looked up, his eyes meeting Hope's.

"That's awful." she manages to say, her hand resting on Jace's as she squeezes it.

"The pain was excruciating, sometimes I would be sick for days but it's not everyday you have a Shadowhunter to experiment on." Michael's words upset Jace and even though he didn't mean to, he pressed hard on Hope's hand. The pain wasn't an unwelcome sensation and for a second she just looked at him.

Jace had confused her in ways she wasn't used to, sometimes she couldn't stop looking at him, other times his touch seemed to repulse her. She hated herself for it.

"They were talking about attacking Renwick." Michael spoke. "Who's Renwick?" Clary pipes up. "Not a who but a where. It's this deserted small pox hospital on Staten Island."

"Ew." Hope scrunches up her face. "It's right under our nose." Clary uses a hand to push Hope's face back. "And we can't track over water." She adds as Hope brushes her hair out of her face. "He left me to die in that cage." Michael's voice softened when he spoke, "Valentine never wasted time with compassion." Luke's gaze met Hope's.

"And he won't get any from me when the time comes." Jace works his jaw, anger evident in his body as Hope's hand finds it's way to his shoulder, she squeezes it and he turns to her. "Valentine is a monster but you can't risk becoming what you hunt." Hope barely knew what that meant but Jace turned to her, his gaze as hard as stone.

"Luke and I can go to Renwick's tonight." Clary interjects and Hope nods, slowly pulling away from Jace. "We'll stay here, Jace needs to get some more rest. I think we need to ready ourselves, a war is brewing." Hope tilts her head up, her eyes cold when they meet Michael's.

Hope didn't let her guard down even as she sat on the floor, watching Jace train with his father helping him

Hope didn't let her guard down even as she sat on the floor, watching Jace train with his father helping him. She had her legs crossed as she ate some noodles one of the chefs made her, she had been eating constantly to keep up her strength, to keep herself from going after what she really wanted.

She watches as Jace's dad goes into the room next door, "Give me a minute." he goes down on one knee in front of her, "What? Are you gonna go talk about manly things my little blonde girl self won't understand?" she looks up at him, still slurping up a noodle when he wipes the sauce off her chin.

"I just want to talk to my dad, I think you would know what it's like. Imagine if you had a chance to do this, won't you want to spend five seconds away from me for it?" she nodded and he leaned over, pressing a gentle kiss to her cheek.

When he walks away, Hope takes out her phone, checking up on Clary. She felt a little guilty for not going with her and Luke but she didn't trust Michael enough to leave him alone with Jace, especially not in his state.

Their conversation lasts a few minutes, Hope can't hear it past the radio that seems to blast in the room their in. Hope doesn't think she should be worried until Jace comes back and barely even looks at her and when she tells him to sit down with her he shakes his head, telling her he needs to get some rest.

"Want me to come with? Two bodies keep warmer or whatever. God, that was cringe of me to say. I don't know what's gotten over me." she laughs to herself and he gives her a tight smile. "It's fine, that's just the effect I have on women." she throws a noodle at him and he laughs before eventually going back to bed.

She has another minute of silence before Michael walks into the room, her back stiffens when she sees him. "You hungry? I can ask them to make you something." he shakes his head.

"You know when I heard from Valentine about Klaus having a daughter, I didn't think you'd be anything like this." Michael sits down on a chair, a few feet away from Hope and she appreciates the space between them. "Is that an insult or a compliment?" she ponders. "A little bit of both, doesn't your generation like a little bit of both." she nods, smiling slightly.

"I definitely never thought the tribrid would be dating my son." Hope nearly chocked on her noodles. "He used the word dating?" she coughed into her elbow but she keeps eating. "Is that not what you think this is?" Michael inquiries and Hope holds up a hand to suggest she's still choking, she was starting to question her Valentine and Michael being the same person arguements because why would Valentine care about her dating life?

"After kissing twice I wouldn't even say this would fall under the situationship category." she flashed away in a blink of an eye, when she comes back she has a bottle of water. "A what?" Michael was confused.

"Nothing, nothing." she took a large gulp of water when she realised her noodles when finished. "I'm gonna get some more but you stay healthy, homie." she feels so awkward that she could crawl out of her skin.

She gets more food before going into the back room
where she finds Jace sleeping peacefully, she sits down beside his bed, watching the door as if scared something or someone would come to grab him.