𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓥𝓘𝓘𝓘

(CHAPTER EIGHT)

(CHAPTER EIGHT)

TIGHTENING THE NIGHT BOOTS SHE HAD ON IT WAS PAST DAWN. BRITHA OBSERVED THE OUTSIDE OF HER WINDOW. She needed to be sure their gatekeeper, Vrorok, wasn't in the way. Vrorok, was a large sized raspberry colored orge who had started working for the Longdales about ten years ago. He had ended up being in Ember Longdales' debt after a robbery gone wrong. Although overtime ended up caring for the family for real. Among the staff he got along with Zox the most. Mostly enjoying a peaceful lunch with her from time to time. As easy going as he presented himself. He took his job as gatekeeper and protecting the family very seriously. It was good Britha was careful on her toes, she was able to learn his nightly routine which helped her sneak out for meetings when needed. This time though she wasn't headed to a secret meeting but straight to Hollow Hall. She was weighing out a few options on how she can make it seem natural for being there. As her and Dains secretive and quite complicated relationship was not made quite public at all. Convincing the royal guards for visiting was going to be a hardship. Balekin was definitely out of the window.

So far the two options were.

Pretend to be a maid or.....Cardan

Suddenly she didn't want to go on this mission anymore.

Well he wasn't an acquaintance or a friend. But he was a key to being able to visit the manor without any suspicion. Out of the brothers and being in the same class was an advantage. But what excuse could she use? He hated her, and made it every chance to make her and Jude miserable. What made her think he would be at her mercy. Sitting on the saddle of one of her dark horses she didn't have time to think any more since Hollow Hall was right in her view.

Hollow Hall is a stone manor with a tall, crooked tower, the whole thing half-covered in vines and ivy. There's a balcony on the second floor that seems to have a rail of thick roots in place of iron. A curtain of thinner tendrils hangs down from it, like a scraggly beard. There is something misshapen about the estate that ought to make it charming, but instead makes it ominous. Britha remembers only stepping inside once. But that was when she was about nine so she hardly remembered. It was a revel where her father also attended with Caris and Nyathera. But she remembered them, her father specifically leaving the party not pleased. She wondered if maybe there was any altercation between him and Balekin, the eldest.

Having no time to stand there looking like a fool, she decided to approach one of the guards in her most polite manor. Straightening the wrinkles of her dress, one of the faerie guards go on alert once they see her. She made the mistake of peering to the side by the servants entryway, she thought she saw a whiff of familiar brown hair sneaking in.

What the hell Jude?

Before she could have time to look closely one of the guards stopped her as she was close.

"That is close enough...miss." One of them added the last part reluctantly with a hand out. Britha follows and stands diligently, offering a sign of no trouble.