Chapter 10

Amy and Alex

Amy drove the van into the emergency parking zone and hit the brakes so hard that it made Alex lurch forward. She flung herself from the van and ran into the building looking for someone she knew.

"Maddy! We need to talk." Amy blurted out at the sight of her friend. 

"Well I'm sorry but we are very busy as you can clearly see." her friend replied. "I've got traumas out the ass and none of them can wait for us to have a chat." Maddy rushed off with suture kits and IV bags. 

"Fuck!" she mumbled and turned to head back outside. She jumped had to jump back just outside the doors, when another ambulance pulled in with yet another patient. She watched in horror as the bus unloaded a man on the stretcher covered in blood. His leg had been mangled and he had bite marks all over his arms and legs. He was writhing in pain at every movement of the stretcher. 

"Alex, we should warn the doctors. That man had bites." she looked over at Alex who had sat on the curb and puffed on a cigarette.

"Yeah, so? Why does that matter right now?" asked Alex with an attitude. 

"Because the woman in the alley was covered in the same bites. Didn't you notice that?"

"Shit, I was in a panic, I didn't even really see her. Just the limb in her mouth." He visibly shivered with fear at the thought. 

"Come on, Maddy wont even stop long enough to talk to me. But she likes you. She'll stop if you ask her." Amy pleaded with her partner, knowing that Maddy was Alex's soft spot. 

As soon as he stood and dusted off his butt, Maddy burst through the doors and called for help, "Amy! Help, I don't know what is going on. Alex! That man was in so much pain!"

"Hey, just calm down. Explain it to us slower now. What happened?"

"The guy that came in just now. We gave him Dilaudid to help with pain and calm him down. In just seconds he was crashing and dead. He didn't even make it to the bed. But he didn't stay dead... He sat up and lunged at Dr. Kobalt. Tore his neck out. The security is pinning him down now but I had to get out."

"We should talk now." Amy caressed her friends arm. 

"Okay" replied Maddy with a small nod and moved to sit by Alex.

Alex and Amy explained the incident in the alley and that the dispatchers aren't communicating. The fear crept into Maddy's face quickly and she began sobbing. 

"I think we should get somewhere safe. I don't know what's going on but I don't want to be here when the shit really hits the fan." stated Alex.

"I agree, can we go to the apartment and wait it out there?" asked Amy.

"I can't leave! I have a duty to help the patients here." cried Maddy.

"Help them? Help them how? The world is falling to pieces right now. Its only a matter of time until the Army shows up and takes over." Alex stated. Maddy just shook her head without looking up. "Come on, you've seen the movies. Everyone dies after the military shows up and builds walls. That is when they try to nuke us all and claim its just containment."

Alex had a point and they knew it. But before they could respond, people began running from the building. Screaming patients and doctors, Nurses and visitors. Panic was everywhere. Just behind the crown was a group of shambling people following them. Covered in blood, head to toe. Moaning and looking empty of souls. 

"Run!" Alex shouted and pulled Maddy and Amy's hands as he turned and ran. A few of the dead heard his commotion and began following the three. Alex cranked the engine of the van and pulled out once the girls were safe in the back. 

Alex drove toward his apartment he shared with his brother. Hoping he could get them there safely and with no issues. 

However, his hopes died when he rounded the corner after the light only a mile from the hospital. The police had blockaded the main street and weren't letting anyone past. He cursed to himself and put the van in reverse. Unfortunately, he was already blocked in by the other drivers trying to get back into the city. 

He pulled the panel and let the girls know what was happening. "We may have to go on foot. It's only a few blocks from our favorite coffee shop. Let's grab what we can and haul ass." he got out and went around the back to help them out.

They would have to back track, but it wasn't going to be that bad.