Chapter seven

"You've no power here! Begone, before someone drops a house on you too!" - The Wizard of OZ

By the time they bid their goodbyes to the ship's crew, the sky had turned from pink to gold.

"See you in Djerholm harbour," Specht called. "No mourners."

"No funerals," the others replied.

Kaz had been frustratingly tight-lipped about how exactly they were going to reach Bo Yul-Bayur and then get out of the Ice Court with the scientist in tow, but he'd been clear that once they had their prize, the Ferolind was their escape route. It had papers bearing the Kerch seal and indicating that all fees and applications had been made for representatives of the Haanraadt Bay Company to transport furs and goods from Fjerda to Zierfoort, a port city in south Kerch. Not even Adelaine knew much about the plans, just a bit more than the others. To be honest, though, she wasn't sure she wanted to know more than necessary.

They began the march from the rocky shore up the cliffside. Spring was coming, but ice was still thick on the ground, and it was a tough climb. When they reached the top of the cliff, they stopped to catch their breath. The Ferolind was still visible on the horizon, its sails full of the wind that whipped at their cheeks.

"Saints," said Inej. "We're actually doing this."

"I've spent every minute of every miserable day wishing to be off that ship," said Jesper. "So why do I suddenly miss it?"

Wylan stamped his boots. "Maybe because it already feels like our feet are going to freeze off."

"When we get our money, you can burn kruge to keep you warm," said Kaz. "Let's go." Despite Kaz's words he proceeded to shove a hat onto Adelaines head, adjusting it until he was certain that it would keep her warm.

Jesper consulted his compass, and they turned south, seeking a path that would lead them to the main trading road. "I'm going to pay someone to burn my kruge for me."

Kaz fell into step beside him. "Why don't you pay someone else to pay someone to burn your kruge for you? That's what the big players do."

"You know what the really big bosses do? They pay someone to pay someone to ..."

Adelaine shook her head as the boys continued. It was ridiculously cold, and she was not looking forward to this long trek. She noticed that each of the crows cast a final backwards glance at the vanishing Ferolind. The schooner was a part of Kerch, a piece of home for them, and that last familiar thing was drifting further away with every moment. Looking at Kaz she squeezed his hand, smiling slightly when he looked at her.

"Put your ..." Matthias paused and had to gesture to Wylan. He didn't know the Kerch word for 'goggles' or even 'snow', for that matter. They weren't terms that came up in prison. "Keep your eyes covered, or you could damage them permanently." Men went blind this far north; they lost lips, ears, noses, hands, and feet. The land was barren and brutal, and that was all most people saw. But to Matthias it was beautiful. The ice bore the spirit of Djel. It had colour and shape and even a scent if you knew to seek it out.

Quickly Adelain put her goggles on, Kaz adjusting them till he was satisfied with her safety.

Throughout the first day of trekking no one spoke much. Everyone kept their head down and walk, unhappy with the weather but too strong to complain. They were all survivors, they adapt and keep going.

Adelaine and Kaz shared a tent and once it was zipped up, separating the two from the others Kaz pounced on her. Their lips met feverishly, hands roaming all over. Once his hands started moving under her shirt though, Adelaine knew she had to put a stop to this.