Chapter 16~ Damaged

MARIUS:

It's been over 24 hours since she's gone missing and I'm starting to go insane. Had I realized how deep my affections were for her, I would've treated the entire situation differently. I would've aggressively pursued her. I have never felt like this towards a woman or perhaps I would've recognized sooner.

She seemed different than the average teen girl and I thought I just enjoyed her company more, but really, I was struck by her. I was struck by her ability to stand up for herself, her interesting experiences with her aunt have matured her quicker than most girls- I suppose it could be the loss of her mother as well, causing her to be more independent. Her demanding nature was bold and I believe her to be highly passionate about every single thing she considers important. Yet, she is always trying to protect those close to her from anything that causes pain, even truth.

I'm leaning over my desk with both hands pressing into the top as I'm lost in thought. A knock at the door snaps my head to attention.

"Rien ?" (Anything?)

"Non, monsieur Gray," comes the voice of one of my personal 'handlers'. They are detectives, body guards, executioners, whatever I happen to need, they handle it.

His answer sends me into a rage and swipe everything off of my desk. I begin throwing objects nearest me and release a cry of pure anger. Jacques has never even had a chance before until now. He may not even realize it, but he has something I want...something I need. I will get her back and he will pay the price for daring to touch her. She may not even realize it, but she's my future and I will do everything I have to to preserve that future.

A double knock at the door tells me Andre is out there. He and Remington are the only two allowed to enter without knocking but they still typically do, probably wise.

My breathing is heavy and my chest heaves up and down from my outburst so I don't answer, I just stand behind my desk leaning with both arms on the top and wait for him to enter. Opening the door, he walks in casually, unmoved by the destruction in my office. He lifts a fallen chair and sets it right side up before having a seat and leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. He stares at me with his chin rested on his folded hands. His staring irritates me to no end as everything seems to be doing right now.

"What do you want?" I grumble as peacefully as possible.

"There's news...it's not good."

"Tell me."

"Her father..."

I furrow my brow at the seriousness in the lines of his face, "Where is he? What does he know?"

He swallows hard and averts his eyes as he speaks, "He was found. We believe that he was used as leverage against her."

"What do you mean?" My voice sounds threatening, but I guess that's how concern comes out.

"He was killed execution style, Marius. He was left in the alleyway like an animal." He doesn't often address a conversation so informal so I know it was bad. "We may have picked up a trail there, but it's not incredibly promising."

"He's dead," I whisper. She is taken and her father is dead. I'm afraid to know what she experienced at the hands of Mesrine's men. If she truly watched her father die... "I want to know every detail about what happened at their house and how they ended up in that alley!" I demand.

He nods solemnly, "What else? We've done everything aside from...well, you know."

I nod and plop back into my scratched up chair- courtesy of my tantrum. Running my finger along a long gash that must've been made by something I threw, my decision is made.