Chapter 22: Revealing One's Hand

"INCOMING!!"

Another volley of arrows, another wall of shields in response. The offensive side that was the Shogunate army had yet to make much progress in their attack on us, but despite this they would regularly have their archers fire upon our position to attempt to weaken our defence.

We were quite quick to react to these arrow storms sent our way, but not always quick enough. We suffered several casualties from those unable to find shelter from the Shogunate volleys... and from those unfortunate enough to be within range of General Kujou Sara's arrow that she fired, an arrow that no matter where it landed would emit a pulse of Electro energy around it.

I was able to use my Vision to quickly heal most the wounds from normal arrows, but it was difficult for me to tend to the injuries caused by Kujou Sara's arrows specifically. If she were to keep at it with the accuracy she had been showing thus far... I worry that we'll end up too exhausted to carry on with the defensive. Currently, our only recourse was to stand our ground and attempt to respond in time, with arrows fired of our own on to the Shogunate attackers.

"INCOMING!!"

There wasn't much else we could really do, not without taking major risks to the security of our position. Our current numbers meant that we were running at 100% efficiency, and sending any number of troops out there to try and fight head on would mean that we would lose some of our defensive capabilities, meaning insignificant covering fire for those that dared to step out with swords and spears in hand.

Nobody else here had a Vision on them, other than myself. So I was the only one who could fire off any elemental projectiles off at the Shogunate, like Kujou Sara has shot off towards us. But the platoon leader had advised me to not attempt anything of the sort for now, so as to not wear myself thin until it was absolutely necessary, so that I could be used as a last resort in the event that the Shogunate managed to push through our defences before the reinforcements could arrive. 

"INCOMING!!"

But with all that was being done to these soldiers around me, those that I had seen around the Resistance Camp for the past several months, to see them getting endlessly besieged like this... with nothing more that I could do but to lift up a shield in hopes that those behind me would find shelter from the arrows flying towards them. It infuriated me.

Was this really the best plan they could come up with? To have us just stand our ground out here, alone. To be under endless sieging, dozens of them being brought so close to death, and with no better plan than to just remain here and wait for reinforcements that we weren't even sure was coming— if they were routed during their earlier step of the mission before they were to aid us... that would mean not only would we have nobody coming to help us, but that the opposing force against us would actually get bolstered even further.

Y/N: "... there must be something we can do..."

Hayate: "You see it now, right? The way we fight back against the Shogunate scum? It's completely backwards! All we do is let them beat us up for a while until we can scare them off with some reinforcements. With the way stuff gets done around here, it's no wonder we've made next to no progress at all. Not until these past couple days, when the Shogunate weren't even on the Island in a meaningful way and we just quickly claimed as much of no man's land as we could before they returned."

Yukina: "If it wasn't for whatever it was you did on Narukami Island, we wouldn't have made so much progress... You weren't even fighting beside us and still you made the largest impact!"