4. HEARTLESS

"You think my mom killed Graham?" Iris couldn't feel herself breath, the sound of her heartbeat was flooding her eardrums

"You think my mom killed Graham?" Iris couldn't feel herself breath, the sound of her heartbeat was flooding her eardrums. The knot in her chest kept her grounded as she desperately tried to follow her anxiety exercises without making her actions obvious to the six pairs of eyes that were focused on her.
"Why? Why would she?" She trailed off as she fought to keep her voice steady.

"Yeah Deputy what makes you so sure?" Sam turned on Emma speaking through gritted teeth.

"I was with Graham when he confronted Regina in the woods."

Winnie's face that had been hiding in her hands looked up. "In the woods?"

"What was Graham doing in the woods?" Sam asked as though she were an interrogator and Iris had never been more grateful for her friend.

"He was looking for his heart." Emma cringed after her own words, realizing how unbelievable they sounded.

Sam crossed her arms scrutinizing the blonde with her eyes. "In the woods?"

"Look I know how it sounds but we found a vault." Emma looked tentatively at Iris before continuing, "that belonged to Regina."

Iris' eyebrows furrowed. "A vault? I don't, I don't understand. What does that have to do with Graham's death?"

"Regina found us in the woods and..." Emma trailed off staring at Iris as if she was trying to piece a puzzle together.

"What?" Everyone in the room jumped at Sam's shout.

"Graham confronted her and ended their affair."

Iris felt the wind knocked out of her at Emma's words her mother and Graham. The weight of the words were crushing her chest, her eyes filled with tears and her throat burned from her attempts at containing them. She pushed past Emma to the door, breaking into a run as she exited the hospital. She didn't care where she ended up anywhere but that hospital.

— ✿ —

Rapunzel stared at the man who lay unconscious on her floor. She turned to Pascal for any kind of guidance as she unsuccessfully tried to slow her heartbeat. She used the handle of the frying pan to carefully move his lip. She crinkled her nose, almost afraid to look, in fear of seeing the fangs her mother had described but instead his teeth were perfectly ordinary.

"Huh?" She bent down again and carefully moved the hair covering his face so she could see him properly. Her shoulders sank in relief.
She took in his features still clinging to her frying pan for support. His hair was dark and unruly and his long lashes fluttered as she breathed.
He smelled like salt and leather and something else that she couldn't put her finger on.
She lent forward to try and get a better look at him. His eyes shot open.

Rapunzel jumped and instinctually swung the frying pan once more, a clang echoed throughout the tower followed by the squeal of the young girl as she sprinted halfway across the room.