When Phayu woke up, the first thing he noticed was Rain missing from his side of the bed.

A groan rumbled from his throat as he stretched to a sitting position, blinking at the empty spot where his lover should be sleeping peacefully.

He glanced at the clock, half past one in the morning shining back at him.

Phayu's eyebrows furrowed when he noticed the bed was cold on Rain's side, meaning that his boy had left a while ago.

It was strange enough that he hadn't woken up when Rain slipped away, even stranger that his lover hadn't returned. Sometimes Rain would get up to go to the bathroom or grab a glass of water, sometimes he would wake up from a provocative dream and shake Phayu out of sleep to get his release. Phayu loved those nights.

But tonight wasn't one of them, concern pooling in Phayu's chest as he threw the covers off his body, wondering where his boy could possibly be at this time.

He put his hair into a bun as he walked to the bathroom, poking his head in. No Rain.

The tension in his jaw gave him a dangerous look as he made his way down the stairs, the pattering of his bare feet hitting the steps echoing off the walls.

A breath of relief huffed through his nose as the living room light came into view, as well as a head of messy auburn hair bowed over the small table. Just the sight of his Rain put his heart at ease, the storm that raged inside his chest turning into a gentle rainfall when his lover was near.

Rain always made him softer, sharp edges eroded into gentle curves, his affection for the younger overflowing in crashing waves that swept Phayu off his feet, so unused to feeling so much for someone, but he welcomed it with open arms knowing Rain would go against the current to find his way into Phayu's embrace.

Phayu's lips spread into a small grin, eyes curving as he made his way over to his boy. Rain had yet to notice his presence, and as Phayu drew nearer, he could understand why.

Architecture books were spread across the table, in front of Rain the beginning stages of a floor plan. Rain's face was scrunched in concentration, a darling pout on his lips as he erased what looked to be an out of place stairwell.

Phayu learned long ago that when Rain was determined, he was absorbed in the task at hand, an advantage the mechanic took great pleasure in when he first met the fiery boy. Now that Rain belonged to him, he knew when to step back and allow his lover to work, but at this time of night, he believed he had a reason to be a distraction.

Taking a moment to admire his hardworking boy, Phayu finally decided to get Rain's attention.

Leaning down, Phayu whispered into Rain's ear, "It looks good, darling."

Rain jumped, pencil flying out of his hand on clattering on the floor. "Ai'Phi!"

Phayu smirked, satisfaction swirling in his chest at the adorable frown on his lover's face. He gazed adoringly at the furrow between Rain's brows as he settled behind his boy, legs bracketing the other as he wrapped his arms around Rain's waist slim waist.

Instantly, Rain melted into his hold, leaning back against Phayu's chest and hands finding the mechanic's to interlace their fingers. He did his best to face Phayu, their faces centimeters apart.

"What are you doing awake?" Rain asked, genuine curiosity dripping in his question.

Phayu quirked a brow. "I should be asking you that."

A darling blush spread along Rain's cheeks. His eyes shifted between Phayu's dark orbs, sucking his bottom lip into his mouth. Phayu subconsciously copied the action, eyeing the spit glistening on Rain's lip, forcing himself to look away.