jump

A light breeze blew her hair across her face as she sat on the edge of the rooftop, looking up into the clear sky. Not a single cloud had materialized for the past hour she had sat there. The slight sunlight lit up the shadows under her. She checked her watch; it was time. Slowly and deliberately, she began to stand up but was interrupted by a young man who burst out the door that led to the rooftop. “Hey! What are you doing up here?” he asked.

“Nothing,” she replied instantly. “What are you doing here?”

“I saw you sitting up here just now. It’s dangerous to sit on the ledge, what were you thinking?”

“A lot of things,” she answered quietly. Her response silenced him. He walked forward to her, the sun brightening his handsome face, and sat down next to her. “What are you thinking?” he asked gently; the girl was stunned. It had been a long time since someone had treated her that way, as if they genuinely cared. “Nothing,” she lied quickly, like she always did. “I’m fine.” The boy saw right through those two words, and seen the look that passed her eyes when she said them. He wasn’t fooled at all, not like the others. He looked at her, and his expression told her everything; he did not believe her. “Nothing that you need to worry about,” she amended. He looked her straight in the eye, and said, “I care.” She was shocked; no one cared. Why should he? He didn’t even know her, he was just a stranger. He stared into her eyes, and smiled at her gently. She tentatively returned the smile, it was her first smile in months, even if it was just a weak one. “Just kidding. I don’t care,” he said flatly, and pushed her off the ten-storey roof. She met his eyes, and it was the last thing she ever saw.