Chapter 30

I followed instructions and waited for Mr

I followed instructions and waited for Mr. Martinez to tell us the questions, when I felt an arm brush against mine.

I flinched and got away from Max. I looked at him and saw that he was only trying to see the board better. He quickly mouthed "I'm sorry" before paying attention to Mr. Martinez.

"Alright class. Number your paper numbers 1-5 skipping a few lines between the numbers and then wait for me to say the questions."

I quickly numbered my paper as he told us the questions and we wrote down the answers on our papers. After a couple more minutes, he started collecting our papers. The test turned out to be really easy.

I felt someone looking at me and turned my head around to see Max smiling at me.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Mel, can I talk to you after class?" he asked, softly.

"Sure, but it has to be quick," I said, seriously before smiling at him.

I saw Mr. Martinez starting to input grades and the nightmare came back to me.

"Max!"

"What?"

"You know what. Now get away from me."

"Make me."

"Max, what the hell do you think you're doing?!"

"Doing what I should've done a long time ago."

"Stop!" I screamed a little too loud.

Everyone turned to look at me. Max's eyes were filled with worry.

"Mrs. Rodriguez, is there something you'd like to share with the class? Some students are still testing," Mr. Martinez said.

"No, I just had a scary flashback, that's all. I'm sorry, it won't happen again," I said, shaking.

He motioned for me to come to his desk and I walked over, nervously.

"Melody, are you okay? You're shaking and a little pale. Do you need to see the nurse?" he whispered.

"No, I'm fine, really. Thanks, Mr. Martinez," I said, trying to calm myself.

He nodded and I went back to my seat.

"Alright, then. I've checked your tests and I'm proud to announce that only one, yes ONE student got an A+!" he said, smiling.

Everyone started talking amongst themselves to see who it was.

Woah only one A+? Yikes, I guess this test must've been really hard then. I wonder who the lucky person is.

"That person is... Melody Rodriguez!" he shouted, with a huge smile.

I was shocked.

Everyone cheered and clapped.

No way? Are you serious?! I can't believe I did it!