12

sam's pov
Mae seemed unbelievably different.

Although I consider her and I buddies, I feel we haven't hung out together in a long time without being accompanied by her and I's countless friends.

Jeez, I sound like I'm bragging. Although I am pretty popular!

She sat motionless, staring at the tinkling stars. Her usual joyful eyes, green and vibrant, had turned dull and faded. She reminded me of Seb before she had got here...

Hold on- Sebastian.

"Hey Mae?" I start, attempting to get her attention. Is she even alive in there?

She twitched and darted her eyes to me. Her chapped lips remained in a firm, straight line. No emotion whatsoever. It was almost scary, unnerving at the very sight of her.

...which feels mean to say- but I'm not kidding!

"I don't mean to pry, but could this possibly be about Sebastian?" I carefully ask, studying her monotone face, that had seemed to brighten up just at the name. Bingo.

She didn't even need to say anything- which she didn't- because her look said it all. A sharp pain in her eyes was so plainly readable I felt pangs of empathy for her. What did that guy do to make the happiest girl in town become full of such sorrow?

"You don't have to tell me what he did, or what happened, just know I'm here for you, 'kay?" I reassured, flashing the sweetest, most genuine smile I could muster. I wanted her to be okay.

Her emotionless eyes flickered just enough for me to notice. A tired smile formed across her once grim lips. She was back, although she wasn't 100%, it was just enough to calm my curiosity just a tad.

"Thank you, Sam," she hoarsely croaked. Her eyes squinted as she smiled, lines of built up smiling we're indented her cheeks. Her colorful hair laid in her eyes, covering any excess emotion.

I sighed of relief. "Of course, man! It's pretty late, want me to walk you back home?"

She made a sour expression, her nose scrunched up. I wasn't sure if she was pointing it towards me or my question.

"Bleh, no, it's fine I gotta go home sometime, I can walk by myself," Mae groaned, dragging herself off the patchy grass and into the real world once again. She stood at a small height, staring at the pathway to her farm.

I stared at her as she took in her sights, fists balled tightly. All I saw was the back of her, but I could feel the unsure expression resting on her face. To be alone through whatever boy drama she's going through, and on top of that have to take care of mountains of work must be exhausting. I yearned to help out any way I could.

"Mae?" I called, although she was right in front of me, her mind was undoubtably elsewhere. "If you need me, you know where to find me. Plus, if you'd like, I could assist with some farm work?" I suggested.

A slight breeze lingered in the air, as well as the scent of salty water that wafted from the beach. She spun around, a giant smile displayed on her lips. Her eyes glossy and grateful, gap teeth poking out from her full lips. The audacity of my closet friend to wrong such a goddess was beyond me. "Thank you, Sam. I'd like that!"

I smirked, feeling quite pleased with myself. "Of course, a big strong guy like me doesn't mind doing charity for the little people," I cockily joked, flexing my nonexistent muscles through my faded denim jacket. A harmonious laugh followed.

I eyed as Mae took off back to her den, disturbed and alone. The wind intertwined with her hair causing it to flail majestically in the air. Her muddy combat boots clunked beneath her, as she dragged herself along. I sighed and felt for my phone from my back pocket.

YOU: yo sea bass magee, how'd ya fuck up this time?

. . .

Sea Bass: wdym, ur the one to always fuck up 

I scoff. This guy...

YOU: i mean about mae dipshit. what'd you do to her???

Sea Bass: jesus how did you know abt that so quickly, it's literally 4 am, this town moves pretty fucking fast

YOU: cause I seen her duhhh. she's actually broken, idk what you did to her, but you better fix it. 

Sea Bass: i know that dumbass, i'm not gonna lose her

YOU: you sure abt that bud?? you better act quick or you might. she's already losing herself.

- READ

I leaned back on the great oak, awaiting a reply, only to get left on read. I hope I knocked some sense into him. Usually he does that to me, it feels good to not be on the receiving end of it for once.

Oh, how the tables have turned.