Chapter twenty-one

I stood up with the help of Naomi as I took a deep breath in. I realized Rylie was over here with us. "Rylie?"
     "I was in a lot of pain, so Luke came back for me." She replied.
     "Anyways," Naomi said, "what did you see this time?"
     "I figured it out."
     "What do you mean?" River asked.
     "We never needed the tasks."
     "So everyone died for nothing?" Luke said.
     "Yup." I said with sadness in my voice. I took a deep breath. "But one of us needs to make a sacrifice in order for this to stop."
     "No." Luke said, "I don't want anyone else dying."
     "It has to be me." I said.
     "I won't let you do that."
     "I know the story. Now I must die. Those are the rules. I must die. I've always been destined to be the sacrifice."
     "No no no no no no no. I can't let you die. I need you. We all do."
     "I promise Luke, after this everything will be all over. You can see your family and everyone else. Plus you'll still have Rylie and River. You can have a 3 person band."
     "But Finn."
     "We don't have another choice Luke. Nobody else will have to die after me, plus it's not like my mom even wants me in her life anyways."
     "You're my best friend Finn. I'll miss you."
     "I'll miss you too. We still have about fifteen minutes. How about we all go in a circle and just talk for a couple minutes. As if it's just a regular conversation. We won't even think about or mention how it's gonna be my last."

     We spread out in a circle and like i said, just talked. It wasnt a long conversation, but it was nice. We all revealed something nobody knew about us. I started it off by saying, "I've never told anyone this before but when I was little I pretend i was in a reality tv show and make everything way over the top. It was so embarrassing, and my dad eventually said the 'show' was being cancelled because there wasn't enough drama and I cried in my room for 2 days straight."
     "Oh my god." said River, "i thought i was the only one. Well I didn't pretend it was a reality tv show, i used to pretend that I was in an action movie and i ended up fighting my couch, who was a villain named 'el sofa' so you're not the only one who did embarrassing stuff."
     "You think that's embarrassing?" said Naomi, "In my old town, which was small so everyone kinda knew everyone, I'd go up to random people in random places and start interviewing as if they were famous."
     "Wow thats... wow." I said.
     "Yeah." Naomi replied.
     Luke shared his embarrassing childhood story next. "When i was little i was obsessed with American ninja warrior so i would turn everything i saw into an obstacle course, and i thought i was so cool."
     "I used to do gymnastics and would tumble anywhere i went. I even once did a cartwheel in a grocery store and knocked over a whole bunch of apples. My mom was not very happy with me." Rylie said.

     Honestly, that conversation took my mind away from all that was wrong and just allowed me to smile for a minute before making my sacrifice. We all laughed a little than got up and took a deep breath before setting everything up.

     Together, we found some vines to make a rope and attached to to a sturdy tree. We were all scared, but i knew i had to do this in order to keep everyone else alive. Nobody deserved to die, and I honestly feel like it was my fault. If I would've just realized what all those clues meant earlier, would everyone have been free to go to their homes sooner. Did me being stupid cost everyones life that didnt deserve it? I felt horrible, and I didn't want to live with survivors guilt, so i did what i had to do. The sun was about to rise, so it was time.