Prologue

"Hey, Aaron, you imbecile creature!"

Aaron Lanter stopped dead in his tracks as soon as he heard his name and the derogatory word that came after it. He did not like it. He's Aaron Lanter, the most popular guy in school; every girl's dream guy and every guy's object of jealousy. He was the Aaron of Lediville High. Who on earth would call his attention by calling him an imbecile?

The culprit was none other than Samantha Banks, who stood proudly by the countertop with her rather worried friends in the kitchen.

"What did you just call me?" Aaron asked. The party was beginning to bore him. He and his friend, Zack, decided to leave the party when they passed by the kitchen.

"Imbecile," Sam answered coolly. "Hey, spell imbecile, I-M-B-E-C-I-L-E."

"You're screwed, Sam, like down the sewer kind of screwed," a girl who looked like a gothic doll said.

Sam frowned at her. "That doesn't even make any sense, does it? Oh, I feel warm fuzzies."

Chloe was nodding her head between Sam and gothic girl to the rap music blasting loudly. "This is an amazing party."

Sam had never been drunk in her entire existence. But in that gusty, Friday night, she let her best friend, Chloe, influence her decision on how she should spend her evening. If it were up to her, she would be curled up in bed, watching classic TV show reruns. In fact, it was what she had planned, but when Diana, one of Lediville High cheerleaders, announced a house party before the first period even started Monday morning, everything changed.

For days, Chloe wouldn't let the topic rest; she begged Sam to go with her, promised her they would leave the party before midnight. And on Thursday, Sam finally gave in and agreed to go with her. Chloe victoriously manipulated Sam to join in on the fun with half of the population of Lediville High.

After a few arguments about the smell of alcohol in the entire house, Sam finally agreed to stay for four hours. It was the first party of the school year, and everyone was partying like it was their last. The place was already swamped, but surprisingly, the kitchen wasn't so they decided to hang out in there with two other girls from one of their morning classes.

It only took three bottles of beer to turn Sam as pink as salmon and a bit deaf, to start to laugh and to talk louder than normal. When boredom slowly crept in, the girl with the shiniest red hair they called Ginger suggested that they play Truth or Dare.

"I agree. Let's play that 'cause this party sucks," another drunken girl agreed. She had her nose pierced and couldn't seem to stop playing with her pierced tongue. Her eyes were locked on a guy and a girl pinned on the walls, making out.

Chloe rolled her eyes. "Just because nobody wants to make out with you doesn't mean the party sucks, Martha."

Martha frowned. "Who'd want to make out with jerks?" She started to stare at the two girls standing in front of them who were surrounded by four guys.

Ginger suddenly stood up and almost spilled her beer all over Sam. "Okay, let's entertain ourselves and play truth or dare." She suggested again.

"This is Diana's house. She's a popular cheerleader. Why don't we look around and maybe we'd find some weird stuff? Wouldn't it be fun to discover something about one of those perfect cheerleaders at our school?" Martha said.

Chloe shook her head. "You have issues you need to fix."

Sam got up. "Chloe, I think we should go. I'm starting to feel weird. I can't feel my hands."