Chapter eight

Louis' lie lasts a month before he's thrown in the shit with Liam. Harry had successfully avoided Miss Haywood with nothing more than an email saying that he'd told his parents and Louis told their friends the same fib.

But, yeah, Harry's birthday involves a good amount of alcohol. Louis tries avoiding the daggers his friends are sending him and manages to slip away from a few confrontations by suddenly adding songs to the playlist and grabbing some food and kissing Harry. Clearly, Harry is having fun and the fun doesn't need to be spoiled by his friends being blabbermouths.

Louis gets cornered eventually.

"Louis," Liam hisses. Shit. There's nowhere for Louis to go besides back in the bathroom. Liam cocks his head and coaxes Louis back inside and locks them in together. "So Harry's family know? Really?"

"Don't ruin it now," Louis snaps. "I'll tell his mum or dad, even Gemma, she might be best to be fair, but I'm not going to announce it to his whole extended family! If you say a word then I'll make sure you're never allowed near him again!"

"Are you threatening me?" Liam says exasperatedly. "I'm not doing this to stab him in the back!"

"So announcing he's an alcohol abuser at his birthday party isn't stabbing him in the back? What a great friend you are!"

"At least I'm not enabling him!" Liam snaps sharply. "If I've stabbed him in the back then you're twisting the knife!"

"How fucking poetic." Louis rolls his eyes and folds his arms. He's not above throwing a tantrum. "Can I go back now? I've got the message."

Liam glares and unlocks the door, stomping away before Louis has the chance to start his hissy fit. Surely he won't tell Harry's family now. Surely.

Louis' stomach is in knots as he sings happy birthday. There's the moment of silence whilst Harry blows out his candles where everyone is gathered around him and it's the perfect opportunity for Liam to shout something about Harry and alcohol but when everyone starts clapping, Louis thinks about how ridiculous it would be for Liam to do that. Why the fuck would he have done that? That's so dumb.

The party starts thinning out after a little bit – it's getting dark and people are claiming they want to avoid getting tipsy off the prosecco toasts Anne is dishing out before they have to drive home – and Harry is, as always, getting a little too cosy with Louis. With everyone to be fair. Liam, Niall and Zayn all get kisses before they go and Harry talks loudly over them when Liam gives him a look. Louis can't help but sigh with relief.

"Lou, are you staying or coming home?" His mum asks softly, her hand ghosting over Louis' cheek. She keeps doing that. It's not red, hasn't been in weeks, but every time Louis says he's seeing Harry, she ensures he promises her that he'll call if he needs her. It's sweet but a little unnecessary.

"I think I'll stay," Louis decides. He's got to update Harry on the Liam side of things. Predictably, Jay tells Louis to call her if he needs anything and she kisses him on the forehead. He complains about lipstick and his mum rolls her eyes and rounds up all his little sisters.

Harry's aunt gushes over him (Louis had seen her at the gin so she's understandably extroverted) and she's the last to leave. Harry physically exhales once he's waved her off and wriggles straight into Louis' arms.

"Love you," he hums blurred-ly. "Lots and lots."

"Love you too, baby. Happy birthday."

"Wanna give me a birthday present?"

"What? Didn't I give you–" Oh. Harry grabs a hold of Louis' hips. "Give it a few minutes, baby. We can help clean up then go to your room."

Harry holds Louis' chin as he kisses him and blushes bright red when Gemma clears her throat.