chapter 1

Alyssa was panicking when she entered the building.  She felt out of place, everything here was priceless and she was worthless.

She reluctantly made it over to the desk who sent her to the interview room on the 4th floor. It was filled with men and women all looking confident and all stood a better chance than her.

Even though Nicolas Reynolds fired his assistants as quick as they walked in, everyone wanted the chance. Whether it was for money or the chance to become well known. After all he was known worldwide.

The interviews went at a rapid pace and soon she was in hers. The person didn't look impressed with what she was saying and the truth was she was probably doing a terrible job. The other candidates obviously were much better and much more qualified.

She was barely qualified.

She had worked as a teenager up until Miles became abusive and made her quit. She was only 19 back then.

Now she was 23 and was stuck in an abusive relationship. 4 years of abuse took its toll on her.

The interviewer wasnt happy, she was actually just filling in for the hiring manager who was ill.

And when she saw Allysa she almost laughed at how pathetic she was but listening to her nervously anwser the standard questions was pathetic. And she wondered why she had even been selected. Too mess with the girl she decided to put her through for the final interview knowing Nicolas was conducting them personally. He definitely wouldn't stand for her and would get angry with her.

"Congratulations you are through to the next round" she replied.

Allysa was shocked but went along with it.

She had to go up to the top floor.  There she was met with a receptionist who showed her to a small group of people who had been shortlisted to have a final interview.

She took a seat as she saw a young woman coming running out of the office in tears. She shuddered seeing her and it made her worry what the boss was like.

A man went next he held a briefcase filled of papers, he was extremely well prepared. Minutes past and he was walking out looking angry.

She shuddered at the thought of what was in store as more women and men entered an office and came out crying, visibly upset or angry.

And soon she found herself heading towards the office. She knocked and when she heard a man's voice telling her to come in. She anxiously walked in.

From the other candidates reaction, this man seemed like Miles.

Looking at him, he was reading through a file. He didn't look at all interested in conducting interviews.

And it was true, Nicolas was not having fun. He asked the hiring team to narrow down candidates as there was too many to go through. They were all the same though, he was bored with hearing the same stories, all having good qualifications.

He didn't want good though. He wanted perfection.

"Let's just cut to the chase, I've got more important things to do. Why should I give you this job?" He asked not bothering to look up.

"I will work extra hard and do everything that's required in the role" she anwsered.

"And just like that you're like every other candidate. You lack qualifications which makes you worse. Yes I have read your CV, Miss Moore. You're below average, you are nothing special, whoever let you up here clearly got it wrong. You have just wasted my time. My time is very valuable, you are not worth a single second of it"

And just like that Alyssa understood why most of the girls came out crying or upset.
She was struggling not to cry.

She really needed a job though and she failed at it.

"I may not have the qualifications but booking meetings doesn't require a genius" she muttered as she started to leave.

She never meant for him to hear.

"Wait" he heard.

"Why are you applying for a job with no qualifications in business " he asked .

She was expecting him to yell but he looked up instead.

Nicolas looked up expecting to see the same bitchy expression most women around him had but he was met with a woman who seemed terrified. Of course all his employees were terrified of him on some level but this was deeper.

"I just need a job and your company offered me a interview" she said not wanting to hear him yell at her for lying. Or worse.

Nicolas didn't know what to make of her anwser. It was a terrible anwser yet he liked she was honest.

"You do realise it's more than booking meetings, you have to take notes on them, organise my schedule, sort out files, bring me the correct file, basically you do everything I ask" he said not bothering to list everything.

"I can do it all" she replied. Although she doubted if she actually could.

Nicolas didn't believe she could but there was something about her he found interesting. "You start tommorow 9am. If you're late don't even bother coming in. I do not accept anything but perfection. You will be here at 9am and will be assigned work"
Really? Thank you. Thank you so much!"

She had finally been given a chance.

A chance that she would seem regret taking.

But a chance that would change her life regardless.

"Get out of my building before I change my mind " he didn't like her enthusiasm.

But he took a chance on her. She was different. Like a puzzle he had to figure out.

He could always crush her dreams and fire her at the end of it.

If she fucks up he would not hesitate to be cruel and put her in her place.

Hi everyone this was a short chapter. Hopefully they get longer. Let me know your thoughts as I'm quite unsure about this still