Chapter 3

Ten weeks later

Reg burst through the door, whacking it against the wall as he stormed across the gym and hurled his rucksack onto the floor, collapsing beside it on the mat and hanging his head in his hands.

‘Dean fucking Waterford. I’ll kill the bastard!’

The weight bar clanged above John’s head. ‘Reg?’ He quickly replaced it and sat straight. ‘What the hell ...?’

‘Been making a move on Annie, the slimy git!’

‘How d’you know?’

‘Who’s Waterford?’ asked D.J.

‘Picked up the letter after work. From Annie. Been having cosy little dinners. While the cat’s away and all that...,’ Reg was shouting now, his face was pale with anguish.

‘But who is he?’  D.J. asked again.

‘A jumped up second rate athlete. Just happens to be a lawyer. Where she works ... so bloody convenient isn’t it!’ Reg yelled.

‘Reg, Reg, for God’s sake calm down! You’ll get us kicked out,’ said John. ‘Now, what exactly did she say?’

Tom sprawled next to D.J. on the floor. ‘It might be ... you know, platonic,’ he said.

‘Don’t give me that crap,’ Reg went straight back to shouting. ‘He’s been sniffing around her forever. What, you think he wants to take her to dinner to discuss the political implications of the Australian judicial system do you? Be in her pants before she’s read the bloody menu. God, I can’t stand it,’ now he was howling. ‘Can’t stand the thought of his hands on her.’ His face was red and his breathing loud.

‘You’re probably reading too much into it. Tell us exactly what she said,’ insisted John.

Reg snatched his rucksack and groped inside. ‘Read it yourself!’ He threw the crumpled paper and fell back on the mat, face in hands. The letter landed at John’s feet. He stooped to retrieve it, smoothed it out, and silently read:

Dear Reggie

I’m hoping you did end up staying with your friend John, and you’re at this address you left me. I’m sorry I didn’t come and see you off like I said I would. The truth is I was a bit pissed off that here you were going off for a few months without me. I now realize that was probably a bit unreasonable. We’re both still young(ish!), and it was unfair of me to object. You should be allowed to have some freedom. It’s not as if we’re married or anything. What I wanted to say Reg, is that if you’re entitled to go off and do what you want then I think I am as well. I’ve always been an honest person so I wanted to let you know that I’m considering myself free to go out with other people while you’re away. Don’t get the idea that I’m running around with every man in Adelaide. Dean from work, (you know, Dean Waterford), has taken me out a few times. He wanted to take me to Niko’s Greek place once but I didn’t think that would be right. I’ve agreed to go to the theatre with him next week. Oh, and a barbecue at his sister’s place at the weekend.

We should agree that we are both free to go out with other people while we are apart and see how we feel about each other when you come back. I presume you will come back. Unless there’s something to keep you there.

Lots of love Reggie and take care.

Annie x

John sighed and shook his head. He folded the letter neatly and dropped it on to Reg’s lap before flopping beside him on the mat.