Chapter 5 : "Shut up, bastard."

Neil switched off his alarm as soon as it went off and blinked his eyes a few times to adjust to the unnatural sunlight that was gracing his room today. He looked out of the window, which was ajar. The clouds still lingered but the sun shone, bright and painting the gray clouds in its lovely golden hues.

He felt Avni snuggling more into his neck and felt mushy instantly. They were still hugging each other tightly before she woke up and decided to do as she wished. He drew random patterns on her smooth skin and smiled. He had only dreamt of waking up next to her, it finally came true today...

Avni woke up a few seconds later and Neil felt her heart picking pace when she realised what position she was in with him. He gradually loosened his grip around her and watched her detach a little to look at him.

"Good morning." Neil spoke his favourite conversation starter. "Good morning." She replied timidly and sat upright. "I won't mention last night, okay? Please take all the time you want. I know, you — we rather, weren't thinking straight." Neil added hastily, sitting too.

"Just consider that...I don't know...a one night stand or something.." She muttered, getting out of bed and walking towards their closet to grab some clothes. "I'm not going to insult our love like that." Neil spoke firmly. Why did she have to mention that?

"Look at me." Neil said as he dressed himself too and walked up to her. "It's not necessary for you to name everything right? We had a moment and now we're picking up from where we left...that's all." He spoke, trying his best to have a grip on his voice.

"I'm...I'm sorry...I gotta leave." She hissed and started walking. "You're hurting yourself too." Neil whispered and went into the washroom, banging the door shut more forcefully than he usually did. Avni opened the room's door; she was feeling suffocated in it right now.

"You're...here?" Neela asked, making Avni jump. "What are you doing here?" Avni asked. It was half past six and her mother was always present at the most unusual of  times. "I just returned from the airport missy." Neela replied, narrowing her eyes.

"Isn't that brilliant?" Avni asked, trying to slip away. "Can we talk about this?" Neela asked, stopping Avni. She held up Neil's shirt and her pendant still hooked to it : which they had carelessly dropped on the stairs.

"Can we talk about why you were standing in front of that room and not mine?" Avni asked, crossing her arms. "Waking you both up. I was about to come to yours after this." Neela spoke defensively.

"You should be waking me up first mom. What's wrong with you? I'm your daughter!" Avni stomped her foot. "I'm sorry ! I just give special treatment to people who actually listen to me!" Neela spoke loudly in the mother-ish way she did.

Avni snatched the shirt from her hand and went to her room, slamming it shut too. "Doors aren't sound proof! I will talk with you! You're literally wearing his shirt too!" Neela made it clear by shouting this and knocking Avni's door simultaneously.

"Idiots!" She remarked and went downstairs, yelling for Bheema to make breakfast.

Avni and Neil came out of their rooms at almost the same time and went down towards the dining table where Neela was already sitting. Neil gestured her to not say anything to Avni. Neela frowned and tried to protest but Neil, for the first time, almost glared at Neela Ma causing her to shut up.

The three of them ate in silence. Avni was the first to finish it after which she went up again to change into her work clothes. "What happened?" Neela asked. Neil set down his toast and dug his face in his hands.

"Just consider me your friend right now and say it! How else am I supposed to tell you what to do?" Neela asked, frustrated. "Fine! Fine I'll say it! We had sex last night and I thought maybe she'll diffuse the tension between us just a bit but she called that...a one night stand?! It's just a sheer insult to us both!" Neil vented it out, feeling helpless again.