|8| the dregs

Danielle walked down see Inej awake and arranging some new knives. "I've been gathering detail on Pekka's assassin." Inej told her after a few moments of silence. "I've discovered my bladesmith supplies him with bone cutters and fillet knives."

"So... he's a taxidermist?" Danny asked to clarify.

Inej nodded. "His name is Mogens. I've got his address."

"Don't tell me you're going to him." Elle looked at her worriedly. She kept quiet.

"I got a new set of blades." The Suli woman said after some beats of silence. "He intends in taking me alove so he can put me back in the Menagerie. And he wants you too."

Kaz was hidden behijd the wall listening in the whole time. When he heard that he stepped out. "I won't let either of you go there."

Inej looked past Danielle. "Why should I believe you? We were ambushed Kaz. Whatever this is, this blood feud you have with Pekka Rollins, I don't believe it's about some Saints forsaken club. You are gambling with our lives and we deserve to know the reason. You owe me that much." She snapped.

Kaz looked down. "Pekka Rollins killed my brother."

Inej turned around, shocked. "Then we destroy him." It was silent for awhile.

"Here Inej. Let's continue on that arm." Danielle said softly. She sent a look to Kaz. She'd talk to him later.

~*•*~

Danny followed Kaz to the Dregs club. "Kaz! Kaz, wait. What are you doing?"

"Ellie. What are you doing here? Go back. Now. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you to."

"Kaz I'm not going back. You're obviously about to do something stupid."

"Yes, I am, and you shouldn't be here while I do." He sternly replied. "Go. Back."

"If it's so important to you that I'm not in there, I'll wait out here." She looked him in the eyes, his blue ocean eyes looming into her gentle brown orbs.

He let out a deep sigh. "Fine. But stay right here. Don't even move." She nodded and anxiously watched as he walked in.

She heard a few words get thrown around. Obviously arguing. Then a key in the front door. Her eyes snapped to the door. "Kaz? Kaz!" She banged on the door. Oh Saints.

"Kill this Barrel rat." Per Haskell said as he took a swig of his drink. A man grunted and ran forward but Kaz was quicker and used his cane to trip him. More grunts and glass breaking were echoing. Chains and wood. Skin slapping and spurts of blood.

"Ah! My leg!" She heard.

"I recommend a cane." Kaz said, flipping a knife he has brought with him. He then threw it at one of the men. He bent down to pick up his cane. Behind him, another man stood up with a grunt but Kaz swung his cane against his head. "You think you're safe because you rolled over for Pekka Rollins." She heard Kaz panting.

"Takes more than what you got to get past Rollins." Per said to him.

Kaz sneered and climbed up the few stairs that led to the bar. "This city's price is blood. And I am happy to pay with yours." He brought the head of his cane to the gang leader's neck.

She heard him talking to Per's men and then the door unlocked. She immediately ran in. "Move out of my way you large idiot." She pushed an already staggering man away from the door, making him fall down again. "Kaz. Are you alright?"

He nodded then let out a grumble. "I told you to stay out there."

"Yeah well. I told you to stop getting hurt quite a few times. Look at what happens."