First day

(a.n: hey! i'm new to writing so don't judge, i'm also british so i'll try my best not to use brit's slang but if you have any questions feel free to ask in the coment thingy also please leave suggestions cuz idk what i'm doing icl!hope you enjoy xx )

toni pov:

"toni!!" martha called
"TONI!!" she called again, this time enough to get my attention.
"what?" i called back
"mom's made breakfast!" she returned.
"i'll be down in a minute" i said stumbling out of bed.

todays my first day at my new school. i'm pretty excited however, from what i've heard, it's full of preppy religious homophobes. so i guess i have a few mixed feelings about it. all though, i am looking forward to joining the basketball team because the season is about to start and trials are coming up for the seniors.

i got ready and headed down stairs to where mrs. blackburn had set out breakfast. the table had a large plate will around 20 pancakes stacked on top of each other. Marty and i ate and headed for the front door. we got in her car and left for school.

we park the car and walk to the vice principal's office. we walk in and got my timetable for the year ahead.
"head to home room and wait for your mentor once it's done." the man said.

shelby pov:
*at school*
i walked out of home room and went straight to look for my mentee. i arrived and saw an empty classroom with one girl leaning against the door. she had black and grey shorts on and a black jacket with yellow lines on it. her hair falling freely down her back and around her shoulders.

"erm...toni is it?" i asked
she looked up and nodded
"yeah, i'm toni, you are?" she replied after a few seconds of staring at me.
"i'm shelby, nice to meet you." i told her.
"likewise" she mumbled.
"what lesson do you have first?" i asked after a minute of awkward silence.
"art, you?" she replied again.
"same, i think we have the same timetable, right?"
"yeah, probably" she didn't look to impress. she hasn't smiled yet and seems to have a raging r.b.f. and doesn't say much. i guess she's shy or something.

after our double art lesson, i introduced her to my friend group. leah, martha, dot, nora and fatin. i explained to her that rachel was at swim practice but normally sits with them. i sat down and motioned to the empty seat next to martha because i new them two were already familiar with one another.

toni introduced herself to the group and everyone began asking her questions about where she moved from, why she moved and what her old school was like compared to this one.
"so you dating anyone,Toni?" fatin asked starring at Toni.
"nah, my girlfriend and i called it off when we found out i was moving" Toni answered. wait what? what was that? toni's gay? wtf... i mean, not that i have anything wrong with it i just think that it's against the bible and shouldn't be celebrated like it is.

Toni pov:
i sat down with shelbys friends and saw a spare seat next to marty so i obviously took it and sat down. i introduced my self and everyone began asking me questions about myself and my old school.

"so you dating anyone toni?" one of the girls asked, looking at me with very obvious heart eyes.
" nah, my girlfriend and i broke up when we found out i was moving" as soon as i said girlfriend, i saw shelby grimes and shiver. 'wtaf' i thought to myself. i knew it was bad but i didn't think it was this bad jeez. shelby seemed like a decent person and i was actually beginning to think that she was kinda fruity herself.

the end of the day came around and i walked out of school and went to wait next to martys car. i was scrolling through my phone and noticed a shadow appear around me. i looked up expecting martha but instead for a blue eyed blond staring back at me.
"can i help you?" i asked
"hey, yeah sorry i should've said hi. um, i was just waiting for Martha. i'm supposed to be going round to her house today. why are you here?" she told me.
"oh okay... i live with Marty." i replied
"you do?" she asked
"yeah, i do" i told her. Martha walked up to us and unlocked the car so we could get in. i had called dibs on sitting in the front. Shelby groaned as she put her seatbelt on in the back.

don't get me wrong, i don't judge. but there's just something about Shelby that doesn't sit right with me. i don't know if it's the fact that she won't admit to being homophobic or even worse, the fact that she won't admit to being gay. i've not actually asked Shelby about her sexuality but because of things she's been saying about her family's views on the subject, i assume she hasn't figured it out or isn't out at least.

Marty started the car and before we knew it we were home. 

——————————————
thanks for reading my first ever chapter!'! let me know if i should update!!