Preview

Every time a person does something "dumb", a bit of their hair turns blonde. Each person is born with dark hair, so it is always noticeable when they make a mistake. The drug starts taking effect at age fifteen, and a girl named Phoenix vows that she will start to rebel as soon as possible. Staying true to her word, as soon as she turns fifteen she starts doing the craziest things, all to prove that someone could do what they want without the government choosing who should be eliminated. However, the death of her brother gives her a new perspective. The night of his fifteenth birthday, his hair goes almost completely blonde. No one knows why, but he is treated terrible by everyone but her because of it. A week later, he kills himself. Phoenix struggles to find a new purpose to her life. She starts question whether protesting is the right thing to do, and even if it is, is it worth it? With all this going on, it seems impossible that school drama would ever be a problem. Of course, with Ashton, it's a given. She does her best to make Phoenix's life miserable, using her darker hair as some type of leverage against her. It's only natural that Phoenix was happy when Parker, who she may or may not have a slight crush on, breaks up with her. He's the son of a high ranking government official, and has jet black hair. He strongly supports killing off the blondes, and believes they aren't worthy of living. However, this is until he meets Phoenix. Parker can't help thinking that for a person so blonde, she was truly a remarkable person. Is it possible that they're falling for each other, despite being enemies?