Bound by Vows

The air was filled with anticipation and excitement as the wedding ceremony of Devyani and Rajyavardhan continued. The Saptapadi, the seven steps taken by the couple around the holy fire, marked the most significant ritual of their Vedic Hindu wedding. Each step was a vow, a promise, and a heartfelt commitment to their union.

As the priest guided them through the ceremony, the couple stood hand in hand, their eyes locked with love and determination. Rajyavardhan held Devyani's right hand in his own, ready to embark on this sacred journey together. The first six circuits were led by Devyani, symbolizing her role as the guiding light in their relationship, and the final circuit was led by Rajyavardhan, signifying his commitment to protect and support her.

With each step, their voices echoed through the temple, their vows resonating with the divine and the gathered loved ones. The rituals commenced, and their promises unfolded:

In the first step, Rajyavardhan vowed to Devyani to provide sustenance and nourishment to their visitors, friends, parents, and offspring. Devyani, in turn, promised to safeguard and prepare the food with love and respect, ensuring the well-being of their loved ones.

The second step represented the strength of their relationship. Rajyavardhan acknowledged Devyani's role in managing their home with thoughtfulness and purity of thought, which would contribute to their strength, energy, and happiness. Devyani pledged to manage their home to the best of her abilities, creating a nurturing environment that would support their well-being.

With the third step, Rajyavardhan promised to dedicate himself to earning a livelihood through fair means, while entrusting Devyani to manage and preserve their wealth. Devyani vowed to manage their income and expenses responsibly, ensuring the growth and prosperity of their family.

In the fourth step, Rajyavardhan expressed his trust in Devyani's decisions concerning their household and her choices for matters outside the home. He promised to support her efforts to bring honor and respect to their family. Devyani, in turn, assured him of her commitment to create a nurturing and joyful home, providing for their worldly needs and the happiness of their family.

The fifth step symbolized their partnership in agricultural and business endeavors. Rajyavardhan pledged to consult and involve Devyani in the management of their cattle, agriculture, and source of income. Devyani promised to protect and nurture these resources, recognizing their importance for their family's well-being.

With the sixth step, Rajyavardhan expressed his desire to experience all seasons of life with Devyani, embracing their journey together. Devyani promised to be the means of his enjoyment of all senses, cherishing him in her heart and seeking to complete him.

Finally, in the seventh step, Rajyavardhan declared his commitment to Devyani as his constant wife, seeking their friendship to last a lifetime. Devyani expressed her gratitude for their friendship and vowed to adore him forever with all her heart.

As the Saptapadi came to an end, their hearts were filled with joy and an overwhelming sense of unity. Their vows had woven them together in a bond that was both sacred and profound.

As the sun began its descent, painting the sky with hues of pink and orange, Rajyavardhan held the sacred Mangalasutram, the auspicious thread, in his hands. With tender love and unwavering commitment, he placed it around Devyani's neck, sealing their union with the words, "May you live happily for a hundred years with me.".

With the completion of the rituals, the couple took their seat on the western side of the sacred fire, surrounded by their loved ones. The pradhaana homam, a significant offering to the divine, commenced. Devyani placed her right hand on Rajyavardhan's body, symbolizing her full participation and support in the homam.

As the sixteen mantras were recited, the couple sought blessings from Soma, Gandharva, Agni, Indra, Vayu, and other deities. They prayed for a long wedded life, health, wealth, children, and freedom from worries. The mantras echoed through the temple, carrying their hopes and dreams to the heavens above.

The rituals continued as Rajyavardhan lifted Devyani's leg and placed it on a flat granite grinding stone. With deep reverence, he recited a Vedic mantra, wishing for her to stand firmly, to be rock-solid in carrying out her responsibilities as a wife. The stone symbolized stability, and Rajyavardhan expressed his desire for Devyani to face any challenges with strength and resilience.

Their souls entwined, their vows sealed, and their love celebrated, Devyani and Rajyavardhan embraced the beginning of their journey as life partners. The wedding ceremony had bestowed upon them the blessings of their families, the divine, and the eternal bond they had formed.

As the sun set and the temple glowed in the soft evening light, their hearts overflowed with gratitude and joy.