YOHEI MITO

tw: yohei mito x fem!reader, fluff, slightly aged up characters

 (college/university age), friends to lovers, mito forever the boyfriend / husband material, long read (ish?)

________________________________________________________________________________

saturday evening

"long day, huh?"

your co-worker and friend yohei mito asks as he approaches you at an alley outside a family restaurant. you both work there part-time and since it's a weekend, you have to hustle harder than the usual weekday pace.

you lean back against the wall, stretching out your arms then exhaling loudly. "only three more hours and we're done."

he focuses on you, eyebrows furrowed. he pulls a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and lifts one stick. he knows that you smoke, only you don't do it when he's around.

you take a quick glance at the pack, and then at him. "no."

"why not?"

"you don't even smoke, mito."

he shrugs, then shoves it back to his pocket. "i just thought it would come in handy."

"save it for your other smoker friends then."

"nah, none of them smoke. just you."

you blink at him and wonder why the heck would he carry that for your convenience. you've known each other for a few years and you're aware of how perceptive he is, especially with his inner circle. you sometimes wonder if he's even looking after himself.

you snap out of your thoughts when he nudges your arm. "yo (L/N), i have an idea." he beams at you and offers his hand. you, wanting a little breather, immediately grab it and let him take you.

the nearest park is only a few minutes walk from the family restaurant. there's everything that you need right now: towering trees, well-lit pathways, lush gardens, and benches for everyone's leisure. then there's him.

mito lets go and rushes towards a vacant bench. he gestures to you to come closer. you snicker to yourself and follow him.

when you're both seated, he scans his phone and turns to you. "we have less than 30 minutes, (L/N)."

"you know, it keeps slipping my mind that this park's so near."

"rather refreshing, isn't it?"

you nod in agreement.

he shrugs. "i usually head out here during breaks, especially on hectic days like this."

you pause from exchanging words as you find a wave of calm in this open space, then resort to watching people: groups of friends and families chatting, eating, or laughing. others are solo, walking their pets, immersed on their phones, and so on. and then there are the couples, holding hands and cuddling (but nothing obscene). you whimper and yawn.

while you space out, mito observes you with full concern. he knows how diligent you are at work, but it pains him to see you push yourself to the point of exhaustion. you still keep going without neither credit nor appreciation just because you're a fellow part-timer. thinking all about these, he huffs, mustering some courage to do something for you.

not wanting to interfere, he leaves you be for a while. until seconds seem to pass like minutes and he can't hold it back anymore. "hey."

"hey," you reply unconsciously.

"um, you can put your head on my shoulder, if you like. and uhh, i'll set a timer so we can return on time." he can feel his heart racing.

you're half awake alright, but surely you aren't dreaming? it's not everyday that you receive offers like this from your crush. you might as well take it, albeit too good to be true, to get some nap.

he adjusts slightly closer towards your side, hoping to make you feel at ease, then sets his phone timer to 10 minutes. content to see you still like this, he smirks to himself and rests his head over yours. if his idiot friends would catch you both like this, then so be it.

on your part, if this is meant to relieve you from the irate customers you dealt with earlier, then it's working. you're grateful to have him around, especially when on duty.

sure, mito seems intimidating–perhaps it's his pompadour, his confident form, and his sharp stares. despite these, he has become your safe space: you two can converse about anything without judgement (just silly inside jokes), and you're guaranteed to get home unscathed whenever he, or sometimes with his group, walks you after work or school (college).

he deserves something in return.

seconds seem to pass like minutes. you somehow managed to nap, yet with all those musings about him, your mind can't relax.

you clear your throat. "mito."

"yes, (L/N)?"

"i have decided to stop smoking."

he peers at you and pouts. "huh? all of a sudden?"

you catch a glimpse of him and shift on your seat. "all of a sudden. you keep doing things like this for me, i should return the favor."

"you don't have to do anything for me."

"i want to. my life span's already reduced anyway."

he chuckles, "don't say that."

something in your half-meant joke prompts him to kiss your forehead. a swift, smooth, and sincere one. then he lifts your head up gingerly, eyes directly on you. "i appreciate you, (Y/N). you deserve to feel good. and if you let me, i'll be with you in breaking that bad habit of yours." he intimates in that husky voice you know quite well.

a warm, giddy feeling suddenly takes over you, dropping all traces of fatigue you had from work. your first name rolled effortlessly from his own lips; that forehead kiss was a pleasant surprise, soothing you like a balm; and his words were gratifying. his presence is gratifying. you'll take it over anything at the moment.

you grin and scoot a little closer to him. "i can't thank you enough, yohei." is all you can express. you mean every bit of it.

he appears bashful yet remains composed, elated that you also addressed him by his first name, and with your positive reaction towards his gesture. he's proud of your new resolve, at the same time, flattered that he's a part of it.

he may not be a doctor, but he's determined to make you happier and healthier. seeing you brighten up like this is enough of a reward for him. and he'd keep doing it just for you.

and so, mito switches the timer off. you stay in each other's arms for... only a few minutes.

the romantic atmosphere doesn't last for out of nowhere, mito's name is being called out by those familiar voices. "YOHEI! OUR YOHEI DID IT!!" takamiya leads the gang in cheering loudly while noma, okkutsu, and sakuragi bring out their party poppers and new year trumpets, expressing their congratulations and support for their friend's progress.

mito groans. his face fully flushed due to the ruckus. "you know how irritating these dumbbells can be. once again, i'm sorry about them."

you giggle and shake your head. "don't worry, yohei. i'm used to them by now."

they pepper you both with their best wishes, with mito himself in disbelief that he's now the center of their attention, unlike before. their efforts to build him up comes with their request for free meals.

he exhales. "alright, (Y/N). hold up for a bit–" then he clears his throat. "YOU'RE NOT GETTING FREE MEALS TONIGHT, YOU BUNCH OF FREELOADERS!"

seeing him cackle at his friends isn't new, but now you know why sometimes he randomly disappears when they drop by at the restaurant–

you can't resist joining him in cackling at all these, especially after garnering violent reactions from them.

it's until you reach your limit and take deep breaths that you both regain your poise.

now, your honeyed gazes meet, accompanied with smiles. he smooches your forehead once more, ever gentler and sweeter this time, and embraces you. in return, you lay your head again on his side, finding refuge in his arms.

________________________________________________________________________________

1267 words