𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣

❀ 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊 ❀

The river's edge was her favourite. Where the edges of the river kissed the gravelly banks of the forest, just before the shore sloped up to meet the lush green grass and moss of the forest floor, and the shrubs and flowers that lined the banks. Where the trees cast a shadow over the rippling surface of the water, their leaves and branches swaying in the early spring morning breeze. Where the birds chirped and sang as they flew overhead, calling to friends and family as they darted between the trees, and where insects could skitter too and fro without a care in the world as they slipped beneath rocks and beneath bushes. It was impossibly peaceful. But perhaps that was what she loved most about her mountain home. How peaceful it was, far away from cities and towns.

Y/N slipped down the bank, her hand resting on one of the oak trees as she made her way to the water's edge. She wore no shoes. Why would she? She had run up and down these rivers her entire life without shoes, why would she start now, even though she was no longer a child, or a teen for that matter. She was a young woman, and according to her elder sister, she ought to be acting like a young lady. Y/N disagreed and decided to spend every moment she could down by the water's edge. She would go down to the town with her sister soon enough. But for now, she would remain by the river in the forest, where she could sleep the day away with the damselflies and the bees and ignore the calls of her sister.

As the water rushed down the bed, Y/N pulled up the hem of her skirt and waded in, smiling when she felt the cold kiss of the water on the soles of her feet. It felt almost magical as she stood there on the edge of the river, taking one step after another into the water until she was submerged up to her ankles. That was as deep as the river was. In all honesty, it was probably more of a creek than anything else, but Y/N called it a river because why not?

"Y/N? Y/N where are you?"

Y/N sighed as her peace was disturbed by the dulcet tones of her older sister's voice. Hoisting up her skirt again, she left the magical coolness of the creek and started walking up the bank and back through the forest. There was only one path that led from their little farm to the river, so as long as she kept to the path, she would run into her sister sooner or later.

And sure enough, after about five minutes of walking, Y/N bumped into her sister. Y/N and her sister were as similar as they were different. The same h/c hair, though cut at opposite lengths, the same e/c eyes, though Y/N's were just a shade or two darker, and the same love for the forest, though Margaret often preferred to study the flowers and keep her shoes on while exploring the forest. She left the critters and shoe-less adventures to Y/N, who took them happily.

Margaret sighed when she saw her sister, all wrapped up in her usual f/c dress with one edge tucked into the apron that she had forced Y/N to put on that morning before she left for the woods. She took Y/N by the hand and started pulling her back to their little house. "Come on," she huffed, though still somehow kind in how she spoke. "Mother and Father are already ready to head to Market Chipping."

"Really? I thought we weren't leaving until later."

"When do you think it is, Y/N?"

"Noon."

"It's already three o'clock, you silly thing," Margaret said with a sigh. "Now come on. Get your ribbons and your hat and hop into the wagon."

"So I can go without shoes?"

"Get your shoes."

Y/N pouted but quickly ran inside their farmhouse to retrieve her shoes, along with her hat and the ribbons for her hair. Once she had everything she would need, along with a few extra things in her bag, she rushed back outside to where her family was waiting for her in the wagon. Y/N hopped into the back with her sister and soon the little family of five, the youngest being Y/N's little brother who was sitting up in the front with his father, were off to Market Chipping.