Chapter 4

When the bell finally rang I stood up and  stood at the door grinning at Jack who stumbled towards me. "You, me coffee after school." I flipped my hair over my shoulder and watched Jacks jaw fall open as he searched for words. "Good." I touched his shoulder with my finger tip and turned and walked elegantly out the door. I stopped at my locker leaning against it like you see in the movies.

"Hey." A boy named Sawyer walked up to me. He had a flat muscled body and blond hair with a square jaw.

"Hey." I said not expressing any interest.

"You free after school today?" Sawyer asked grinning slightly. Now that I thought about it I hardly noticed this boy. He was in my L.A class but I'd only noticed him a few times. Huh.

"Sorry I'm busy." I smiled politely back and watched his hopeful become dumbfounded. He must be used to getting what he wants. The long isle of gray lockers seemed to stretch endlessly onward as I walked down the hallway to lunch. Emma caught up with me smiling.

"I already had someone ask me out!" She squealed her eyes as bright as a squirrels. This came as a surprise to me. I spun around stepping into her path. Had my mad skills already begun to work?

"Who?" I demanded  fighting back the urge to place my hands on her shoulders and shake the hesitating girl. Emma cleared her throat.

"You wouldn't know him." She sounded high and popular like. Was she saying she was better then me?

"You didn't answer my question." I narrowed my eyes my voice cold, almost dangerous sounding.

"I just said you wouldn't know him." Emma was clearly inpatient as she tried to push around me. I sidestepped her again.

"Are you saying your more popular then me?" I whispered coolly.

"Maybe." She looked innocent but behind her well practiced mask I could see that she was guilty.

"Emma!" I hissed eyes alight with anger. I took a few breaths hoping to calm myself. "Who is the guy?"

"His name is Cody James." Emma admitted with a sigh.

"Cody James? I know him!" I let the smoldering rage burn out of my system and smiled gently.

"Forgiven?" She asked her eyes and voice soft. She knew that what she brought up was now a touchy subject for me.

"I suppose but don't get to confident. I have already have two boys ask me out." I kept the brag to a minimum knowing one of those boys happened to be Jack.

"Who?" I was waiting for this. Emma was quite pushy. but who isn't? I certainly was.

"If we don't go now," I looked around the empty hallway that seemed sinister in the gloom without the bustling bodies everywhere. "We'll be late for lunch." I carefully moved out of Emma's way allowing her to walk forward.

"Tell me later?" I knew it was more like a question then a for certain thing. Emma raised one eyebrow.

"I suppose." I grinned and looped are arms together. We headed for the cafeteria and when we walked in the once loud chatter faltered and heads turned. I frowned. In was an automatic reaction to stares. Then I realized they where basically complementing me and Emma. I smiled and saw Emma grinning like when Doug Loui sees a blueberry pie. I flipped my hair and I heard sighs and a few mutters. I looked up under my eyelashes and everyone began turning away, chatting, and eating nervously. I laughed and sat down at what we called The Royal Table. Joy was sniffing from on end on the table next to Catlyn and Fawn, her 'bffs'. I sat down next to Katherine and Emma while Emma sat down next to me and Jade. I poked the mystery food with my fork grimacing.

"Aren't you hungry?" Joy looked at my full plate.

"Not really." I said with a smirk. I looked up and saw Parker Peggy a.k.a Double P sit down nect to Leanna. Her messy black hair was in a bun and her glasses slid half way down her pimply nose. The reason Double P sat at the Royal table was that she could get any information your wanted.

"Whats up Double P?" Leanna asked. I frowned when Leanna used the cruel nickname. Poor Parker has been called Double P since kindergarten and rumor is one time when her mom was dropping her off at school she accidentally said 'Have a good day Double P!'. I glanced around the room and spied Joel Runin the official nicknamer of the school. Getting a nickname is another thing you have to watch out for. I'm lucky I haven't gotten a nickname...even though I came close once...

It was a rainy day and I was downcast, like the weather. My heart felt heavy because my Grandmother had just died. I had walked into school drenched because I missed the bus. People stared and laughed. I had felt hot as a pepper. Then who happened to be there? The only Joel Runin. My upper body had some what of a cover because of my hood but my bottom half was completely soaked. "Raynea! What happened?" Emma had rushed right up to me eyes worried.I had said nothing. Then she said why we're you late for school. "My cousin came over last night. We...We-" Then Joel cut in. "Looks like you sure did wewe your pant WeWe!" He laughed followed my other kids. I had stared to burn up then the bell rang. Since Joel didn't make 'WeWe' my official nickname by writing it in his nickname book I was 'saved by the bell.'

I snapped back to the present. A lump in my throat began to try and dissolve into tears. I stood up and hurried out of the cafeteria the tears already beginning to flow. Grandma...why had I brought up her death. I chocked on a breath. I stumbled down the tilting hallway blurry through my tears. I shoved my way blindly into the girls bathroom before collapsing on the tiled floor. I ad grief issues. Whenever I thought of my Grandmas death or my best friends death grief shook me and uncontrollable tears would flood down my face. My best friend in second grade, Faith Star had drowned. I didn't even know she died till a month after her death and I was crying so hard my mom had to pick me up. It was really pitiful then and now as I thought about losing the one person I thought I could talk to in my life it was like losing Faith all over again. I brushed my hand over my eyes wiping away the tears. I breathed out deeply. I'll skip school for the rest of today, mom would understand. Heaving myself up I pushed open the bathroom door and walked out of school my mind full and heart heavy.