Chapter 40 - Mateo

I didn't sleep much last night. I had thought that once I finally had Emma in the same bed as me again, I would sleep like a baby, but that wasn't the case. Callan liked the room dark as fuck, but after staring at the blackness for hours, my sight grew used to the lack of light. I'd laid and worried for our girl. I kept checking on her throughout the night, making sure she was alright, but even in her sleep, her face was marred by a frown.

Callan seemed like he was finally getting some sleep though. I knew he'd struggled with it these past weeks. It probably helped that Emma had found her way onto his chest sometime during the night.

The clock on the nightstand showed that it was only five AM, but I knew I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. My mind just wouldn't stop turning and twisting and wondering and thinking. For weeks, Emma had been terrified, yet we were oblivious to it all—hell, we'd been more worried about us and how we were going to get her back instead of focusing on her wellbeing. Were there signs we had missed? Was there something else we could've done to prevent this, or help her in some way? And the anger. The anger was boiling beneath my skin. I wanted to find the fucker who tormented Emma, and I didn't give a shit if he made it out alive after we were through with him. My rage blinded me and made me throw away my values and morals.

Careful, so I didn't wake them, I got off the bed and dressed quickly before sneaking out. The lights in the hallway blinded me for a second, making me squint as I walked towards the kitchen.

This early in the morning, the apartment should be quiet still—should being the operative word. I could hear cabinets in the kitchen open and close and water running by the sink. Gideon was making coffee when I shuffled into the kitchen, yawning the entire way. Of course, Gideon was awake at this ungodly hour. I didn't know how he did it day after day. I was feeling completely wrecked while he was...definitely not perky, but at least he looked awake.

"Good morning," I mumbled, walking over to the island on heavy feet and practically fell down onto the bar seat. "Mind making me a cup?" I usually preferred tea, but I needed something stronger if I wanted to keep my eyes open.

"Make your own damn cup," Gideon said back in that grumpy way of his. I didn't even get a 'good morning'. Rude.

"Pretty please with sugar on top?"

He didn't even dignify that with an answer. He wouldn't have hesitated to make a cup for Emma—

"The cup is for Emma. She didn't feel like getting out of bed just yet," I lied. Drastic times called for drastic measures. I did not want to move from this seat. My body was too tired for that shit.

"She can have mine," he said, handing me the white cup once it was ready. I bit back a grin. And the Oscars go to...

"Pass me the sugar?" I asked, wrinkling my nose at the bitter black coffee. I could never understand how someone would enjoy this disgusting beverage.

"She drinks it black," he said in a way that made it sound like I was in the wrong for not knowing that. I did know that though, but the cup wasn't for her.

"Well, she craved something sweet. She's on her period."

His eyes narrowed. "The coffee's for you, isn't it?"

"What gave it away?"

"Her period was two weeks ago."

Damn it, of course he would've known that. He didn't need to go rubbing it in my face that he'd slept with her. Okay, I knew that wasn't what he was doing, but it didn't matter, I was still jealous of that fact.

"So...the sugar?"

The sigh he let out told me I'd won. "It's too early for this shit," he mumbled, but passed me the sugar.