Chapter 2

Romeo’s P.O.V.

This will be too easy.

I thought to myself as I made ready to scale the daunting stone wall in front of me. My friends jeered insults behind me, but I ignored them. Isaac Hathaway was a ruthless business man known for being a hard ass. Our families were in an age old feud that seemed never ending. Sometimes I visited his body guard, Agent Thomas Riley, who used to work for my family.

My friends and I were enjoying the first days of summer with a little skateboarding, and I was dared to scale the fence and ding dong ditch the devils house. I couldn’t ignore the dare and though it was illegal, I accepted. Grinning arrogantly at my friends I turned and reached for a crack in the stones.

I hoisted myself up, catching the next hand hold. When I reached the top I swung both legs around, turning once more to send a smug look at my friends, before sliding off the wall and landing on someone, knocking them onto the ground.

I sat up, rubbing my aching head from where I’d smashed it off the cobblestones. I looked down into the dark and mesmerizing eyes of the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen. Her hair splayed around her, a tornado of dark curls.

She glared up at me, looking offended and haughty. “Hey asshole, could you get off? Your kind of crushing me.” She said, her lips brushing together in a sensual way. I jumped up immediately, and what chivalry I had made me offer my hand to help her up.

I was knocked sideways as a hulking and familiar figure shoved me aside, leaning down beside the girl. “Are you okay? Anything broken?” He asked frantically, pushing aside her hair to examine her head. She swatted his hands away, looking cross. “I’m fine!” She insisted irritably.

“Romeo, how many times have I told you to use the front gate?” Agent Riley sighed, appearing frustrated. “How many times have I told you, my parents hate Mr. Hathaway, and I’m not supposed to be associating with him or anyone working for him?” I questioned, probing my forehead with dirty fingers.

“Whatever. Come on Juliet, let’s get you back inside.” He said, offering her his hand, which she glowered at, jumping to her feet. “I only want to walk through the courtyard alone! Is that too much to ask?” She argued, looking restless. I knew the feeling. At home, I was never left alone.

“Your father made it clear that I was only to leave your side when you are in the safety of the mansion.” He said sternly. She crossed her arms over her chest, turning her glare on me. “And you! What the hell were you doing, climbing on my fathers wall like that?” She snapped.

“Wait, Isaac doesn’t have a daughter?” I said in a confused tone, making it a question. “Yeah, and I didn’t have a father until yesterday.” She said, rolling her eyes. “How old are you?” I asked, wondering how he could have kept a secret so large.

“None of your damn business.” She answered snidely, turning and stalking through the stone arch that led out of the courtyard. “Well, isn’t she charming?” I asked sarcastically. “She’s just…” Agent Riley trailed off, looking for an accurate term to describe the hot headed beauty.

“Yeah I got it.” I sighed. I felt like I had just been struck by lightening. “She’s seventeen, by the way. Her father left before she was born.” Agent Riley informed me. I was shocked. I couldn’t imagine life with only one parent.

“Mr. Hathaway is having a social gathering tonight to introduce her to the high society. You should come.” Agent Riley said, ruffling my already messy hair in a fatherly way. “I’ll try.” I said, rubbing the back of my neck. My friends were waiting on the other side of the wall. “Good luck.” Agent Riley said, eyeing the wall skeptically.

I threw him an impish grin and hopped back over the wall where my friends were waiting. “Hey, what do you guys think about the idea of crashing a party?” I asked. They looked reluctant so I added, “There’s going to be hot rich girls,” and they all agreed.

Later that night I was dressed in a button down black shirt and a clean pair of black jeans. I was wearing a matching black tie and converse, not the best idea but I was low on options.

“Dude, this place is packed.” My friend Andrew said as he sidled up next to me, looking awed. I eyed the line of cars that were snaking up the long drive. “Come on, we’ll never get in on this side.” I said. Andrew, Ben and I all scaled the wall, brushing dirt off our clothes as we went.

We snuck around, walking through the front door like we owned the place. Two grand double stair cases swept up, leading to a finely carved ornate door. Stuffy people in fancy dress milled about, gossiping and drinking expensive wine. There was a tall middle aged lady who was perched on the steps about halfway up, in jeans and a tee shirt.

She caught my eye, looking bored. Her eyes were strangely familiar, but I couldn’t place them. As I watched she pulled her knees to her chest, wrapping her skinny arms around them. A few older women at the bottom of the stairs examined her with distaste, gossiping furiously to one another.

“I heard he left her for a Vegas show girl.” One of them said, not bothering to keep her voice down. “I would too, look how plain she is. And not even rich.” The other scoffed, basking in the cackles that followed.

That must be Juliet’s mother, I realized, noting the resemblance now. Ben grabbed a flute of wine from a passing waiter and downed it in a few gulps. Andrew was grinning like a Cheshire cat, surveying the women roaming around in tight dresses that left nothing to the imagination.

“I call dibs on that one.” Ben said, pointing in the direction of the ball room next door. I followed the direction of his finger to Juliet, who was sulking in the corner of the room, looking highly uncomfortable in a black dress that took my breath away.

It went to about mid thigh and was strapless, tight around the bodice that was laced with tiny black pearls. She had made an effort to tame her hair, putting it up with bobby pins. She wore no make up, and her skin glowed in the dim lighting.

“That’s Juliet Hathaway.” I said, before I could stop myself. “Well she’s hot.” Ben said, and made his way into the ballroom, making a beeline straight for her before I could warn him about her hot temper. She scowled as he appeared in front of her, smiling in a charming manner.

Uh oh. I thought, as I pushed my way through the crowd. I needed to save my friend. But before I could get there, there was an almighty crash and all hell broke loose. Literally.