Sticks and Stones

• Dedicated to 'Veronica', The Backstabber

A/N-Got stabbed in the back by a friend today, so this is me venting. This is true, but it's not under nonfiction because the story is about being in a world in which everytime you're bullied, you recieve an injury. The way I was bullied today (yes, this is the day the actual bullying happened) is what I think of as mental bullying. This girl didn't punch me or call me names. Instead she pretends you're friends and then drops you cold. You may not view this as bullying, but I do. 

Please feel free to share your thoughts on my story.

Lily-Me

Veronica-Backstabber

Yvonne-Lily's friend, Veronica's friend-note passing friend

Dana- Veronica's friend

Amy-Lily's friend

Chloe-Lily's friend

Marissa-Lily's other friend, in 8th grade

Sticks and Stones

Covered with bruises, Lily Smith stumbled down the street with her books. She felt like she had it, the worst of it. But of course, that wasn't true. Other kids had it worse. Some kids were even pressed to suicide. 

It all started with the note from Yvonne in math.

Veronica says you're not friends anymore.

The words stung, like a million bees stinging her and a knife piercing her heart. Veronica had been her friend since third grade! What would make Veronica change her mind so quickly? Perhaps it was because she'd been hanging out with Dana lately?

Determined not to let Yvonne or Veronica see her cry. She felt her eyes watering up, but she blinked back tears. She felt a new bruise appear on her arm. From another cruel phrase. 

*RRRIIIINNNGGG*

The class got up from math. Lily, clutching her books, ran out of the classroom and headed to homeroom. Yvonne materilized beside her.

"Do you have a reply for Veronica?"

Yes, I just want her to stop screwing me around! We have been best friends since third grade! We were inseperable! I want her to tell me what made her say that! Why couldn't she come out straight and tell me why she was mad or that she didn't want to be friends?! It would feel better than have it written in a note!

"No." Lily mumbled. I don't."

She shuffled to her seat (to her dismay, she sat right next to Veronica) and began packing, throwing her lunchbox and math book into her bag.

Veronica strutted to her seat and ignored Lily. She smirked and began throwing textbooks in her bag.

Why do you hate me? Lily screamed in her head.

The first bell rang and the class streamed into the hallway. Lily was in the student teacher program, she got to teach a younger kid. As they waited for the final bell to ring. The tears pricked her eyes again and the bruise on her arm began to swell. Lily began to sob. The tears ran hot and fast. She faced the bulletin board, pretending to be fascinated in a poster about the Constitution.

"Are you okay?" Amy walked up to her.

Lily sniffled. "I'm...I'm...I'm so mad! And angry!" She pulled her jacket up to her chin,feeling the tears stick to the fabric.

"No, you're not." Amy pressed.

Lily told her the story, shaking with each word. 

"She's a brat." Amy replied.

Lily quivered and sobbed a little louder, causing Chloe, next to her, to turn.

"Omigosh! What's wrong?" She asked. "Please tell me."

Lily shook her head and buried it in her coat. Then, she thought it would be okay to let Chloe know.

"Amy will tell you."

Amy let the story spill. 

"She's not a true friend. Drop her." Chloe hugged her.

"She confuses me. She tells me we're friends and then she drops me cold." Lily shook. The bruise became unbearably painful.

"She's not a good friend." Chloe said again. "She's a bitch."

Lily nodded and swallowed a sob. Her good friend, a grade above her, Marissa walked over, asking what was wrong. Amy told her. 

"That's so mean!"

With every consolation, Lily felt the bruise swell and ache. Her forehead burned and her nose felt like it was bleeding.

"Are you still going to teach?" Amy asked.

"I...I have too."

The final bell rang and the girls headed downstairs. Lily's flushed face gradually returned to normal and her puffy eyes went down. She taught for the hour before walking home from school.

*On the way home, she saw a boy limping home, covered with bruises and nursing a bloody nose with a gang of boys following him, taunting him, teasing him. With each passing second, the boy was injured even more. Without thinking,she ran to him and pulled him by the arm. 

"Hey, you're late!" 

The boy didn't object as Lily towed him away.

"What was that for? Who are you?" he whispered.

"Let's just say I'm your friend. Friends don't want each other to get hurt."*

Sticks and stones do hurt! Well, to me anyway. 

The part in astricks (*), was a part I made up to make an ending

Please share your thoughts on my story.

-doodlenoodle526