Chapter 3

The following day, I got ready, grabbed my belongings, and prepared all my documents. I was confident that the new hospital would hire me today. When I arrived downstairs, my cousin was practicing her ramp walk and I started eating breakfast.

"Don't be nervous, baby, you will win this pageant," Chachi said to Divya as she walked with confidence and attitude.

"I need to be perfect, Mama. The city's top eligible bachelors will judge the show. I want to give it my all. You never know who will fall for me, mama," Divya exclaims.

"Mummy, if one of those is impressed by me, imagine me marrying him and living in complete luxury. We won't have to beg for money from anyone," Divya says as she looks at me. My grandfather has set aside monies for them to look after me. That has been the only thing they have done for me.

She sat down at the table and stared at me after some practice. Today I ate a paratha that was prepared in pure ghee.

"Do you still want to eat unhealthy food after all this drama?" Divya said. I stared at her, bewildered, and then at Chachi, who appeared embarrassed.

"What exactly are you talking about?" I confronted her.

"You know, Mrs. Bansal called late at night and said she doesn't want an overweight cow to marry her son. She'll get her son married to a lovely woman with a good upbringing," Divya remarked mockingly.

"Divya, put a stop to it." But it's too late for Chachi to stop Divya; I've heard enough. I smile at them both after finishing the paratha down, before grabbing the bag and heading off to find my new job. I hate wasting food.

After each interview, the day seems to get worse. Some positions for the job were already filled, while others stated that they did not want me. Two hospitals accepted my résumé and said that they would contact me. It was already nine o'clock at night when I dropped off my resume at the last hospital of the day; I couldn't find a bus back home and had to walk up to my home; the distance wasn't too far, so walking was the best option, and the area was safe.

While traveling down the road, I noticed a fire blazing and then heard a boom in the direction I was going. I sped up my legs to figure out what was going on. Just as I arrived, I discovered someone lying near the blast. She was an elderly lady who must have struggled to escape the car. Fortunately, she had succeeded before the explosion. Her driver was covered in blood and lay alongside her.

As I approached the victim, I noticed that he was breathing heavily. I turned her head and saw the look of surprise on her face. She was a quiet old lady fighting to live. I summoned an ambulance and waited for it to transport these two people.

With blood on my hands, I stayed outside the operating room, pleading for the driver's and the elderly lady's lives. My entire thought was on the individual who was still breathing and living. I kept tapping the floor and rubbing my hand, making it redder. I was hoping for their survival.

Three hours later, a man came juggling toward the operating room. It was Raj. He turned his head and was taken aback by what he saw.

"Did you bring her?" He inquired nicely, and I nodded.

"How did you get here?"

"She was bleeding and lying on the car with the driver," I explained.

"Thank you so much for bringing her here." I bowed in thanks and returned to praying with shaking hands. Later that night, at midnight, I called Chachi and informed her that there was an emergency at the hospital.