22

I woke up to the sound of machines beeping. I slowly opened my eyes because of the light. I blinked a few times before looking around. I noticed Cole playing on his iPad. Here's the kicker. He wasn't in the chair, but cuddled next to me. Cole was resting on my uninjured shoulder while pressing the keys.

"What you playing, buddy?"

Cole gasped and turned to me. He flung his iPad on the ground. More than likely that guy broke it. He then launched himself on top of me. I grunted as he hugged me tightly. He cried and told me never to scare him like that again. I sadly smiled and rubbed his back. Cole kept stating that I kept dying. I rolled my eyes because he can be a bit dramatic.

A passing nurse spotted us and hurried away. I'm assuming she went to get the doctor. Cole was stating that he was all alone when the cops showed up. He was terrified and wouldn't let them in, so they kicked down the door. My eyes softened because he was terrified and thought someone was kidnapping him. I wrapped an arm around him as he shook.

"Emma!" Mom raced inside. "You're awake." Her eyes watered.

"Omg, you're alright." Dad sighed and held a hand to his chest.

"Hi-" I began to violently cough.

"Drink some water." Mom rushed and held the straw to my mouth.

I sipped the water and nodded. The doctor came in and ran a few tests. I noticed my arm was bandaged and it felt numb. He explained how they had to use the defibrillator twice. And then mom had to give me mouth to mouth a few times. What the fuck happened when I blacked out?! I held Cole even tighter since I could only imagine his fear. I then found out I was out for like 4 days. Whaaaaaaaa? Guess I had a lovely sleep.

They kept me a few more hours since they knew mom and she'd be attending to me. Dad offered to get me all my favorite foods since he was so relieved that I was okay. I chuckled and had them order like everything off the Mexican food truck. We went home and had a nice family meal. Cole refused to move from my side and even slept with me.

The next day, mom banned me from leaving the house. She stated that she'd only leave for work if I'd promise to stay home. I promised while crossing my fingers behind my back. I waited 30 minutes after she left to go to work. Hey, I was unconscious for a few days, so I wanna go and socialize with people. I carefully pulled my shirt over my head and made my way to Maryland.

When I got to the lab, Justin rushed me. He began freaking out because he couldn't get in contact with me. He stated that he kept calling and texting. And that's when I realized I was phoneless. I groaned at having to get a new one or I'd just have to go and somehow find it in the park. I explained to Justin what happened and he was awestruck. I bonked him on the nose and told him it hurt. He snickered and went to touch my shoulder, so I slapped his hand away.

"You're back." Brody jogged to me. "What happened?"

"Wolf attack." I chuckled. "Was in the hospital for a few days."

"Didn't think you'd survive that."

"Ya, neither did the staff. I kept flatlining or something. I don't know." I winced from the raw bite.

"Hmm... guess you'll heal relatively soon." Brody smugly smiled.

"What made you a tasty wolf snack?" Justin teased.

"I'd like to know that as well. I was just sitting under a tree and it attacked me." I flung my hands around. "Like why bite me?!"

"Perhaps, to make a point." Brody shrugged.

"A point?" I tilted my head.

"I don't know. Maybe it was to get a rise out of someone else." He shrugged.