Character Within

Character Within 

By 

Mateo Hellion

When I first started working as an amusement park character it was only supposed to be a summer job. Truth is I wasn't very excited about it when I started, but I needed the money and I really didn't want to flip burgers or get stuck doing some other stupid job. At least as an amusement park character I didn't have to get dirty or sell crap to people. Anyone can stand in a costume and get their picture taken with kids. But now that I'm going on my fifth year as a costume character I feel that its time I shared with the world why my summer job has turned into my life passion.  

My first day consisted of training videos. I didn't even put on the costume until my third day at the park. Video one was on the history of amusement park characters and how they're important to the overall feel of the park. Video two was on park safety and how to stay hydrated while wearing the costumes. By the third video I was sure that I was going to hate this job. That is, if the job was a corny as the videos. 

On my third day I was issued my costume, Lilly Lamb. Good thing no one can see who you are, because there was no way in hell I wanted my friends to see me walking around dressed up as a white fluffy lamb with a pink hat. I was also issued a mentor, Charles Winter, a twelve year veteran of the amusement park characters. 

Charles is a bit different, kind of hyper and shifty. He's always looking around and checking the time as if he's running late or nervous about something. Everyone says it's just his thing, some people are funny about clean hands or bugs, and Charles is funny about the time. He's shorter than me, and a little pudgy around the middle, but what really caught my eye was how pasty white his skin was. He said that it was from spending every day in his costume. 

When I first met him in the Locker room he came bouncing into the room with his costume half on, "Knock, knock!" he bellowed cheerfully to all of the other costume wearers. 

"Who's there?" the group of six responded in unison. 

"Tommy Gun!" Charles laughed out. 

"Tommy Gun who?" they all went. 

"Tommy Gun-a-get you!" 

The group of half costumed characters laughed insanely, as if it was the funniest thing ever told. I didn't get it at first, but one never does get an inside joke from listening on the outside. Charles finish putting his Crazy Crow costume on and slapped me on the back with a feathered hand. The bird's large yellow beak was open and its two white eyes stared off in unnatural directions. The whole getup was humorous and frightening at the same time. 

I quickly placed the Lilly Lamb head on and followed Charles out of the changing room to the food court area. Within minutes a group of young kids surrounded us asking questions and shaking our hands. I watched what Charles did and made sure that I was mimicking the best I could.  

But then two teenaged guys walked over and began to harass me. They pulled on my costume's tail and taunted Charles. I waited for Charles to push them off or to do something other than staying in character. He waved at them and made like he was laughing with them. I was surprised by Charles' lack of action on the two punks, and slightly frustrated. 

By the time we called it a day I was furious. Other teens had been rude and several grabbed at my tail as well as the feathered tail of Charles' Crazy Crow. 

"How the hell can you just let those assholes mess with you every day?" I asked as we entered the locker room.  

Charles removed his head piece once we were inside and smiled at me, "Do they make you mad?"