Ch. 1

February 21st, 2005

She was so engrossed in her work that Hermione had barely noticed Harry standing in her office doorway until he had coughed to announce his presence, causing her to jump in her seat.

"I was beginning to think you were never going to emerge from your paperwork," Harry said jokingly as he slowly walked into her office with his hands in his pockets. He looked around the room and added, "I see you've brought in another bookcase."

"I had to," Hermione said with a heavy sigh as she leaned back in her chair, looking at the bookcase in question. "Not only do I need to learn all of the wizarding laws, but now I need to learn the policies of every department in the Ministry now."

Harry smiled to himself as he stopped in front of the new bookcase, noticing that she had already assigned each department its own shelf. "Not even two weeks into your new position and you're overworking yourself."

"I am not," She said incredulously, scowling at him.

He turned his head to look at her with a raised eyebrow and she took another deep breath before shaking her head. "Okay, maybe a little, but it's important I have a basic understanding of everything."

"That certainly is important," He said in agreement before turning around fully, giving her a smile. "But it's also important to take some time for things such as lunch."

She looked at him in confusion before looking at her watch and groaning exasperatedly. "I nearly worked right through lunch!"

"Well luckily for you," He started in a lighter tone. "I also am taking a late lunch; care to join me?"

"Yes, please," She said happily as she stood up, grabbing her coat. "Where are we going?"

"I was thinking curry, but I'm open to anything."

She smiled. "Curry sounds wonderful. And getting out into muggle London will be a nice break from all this madness."

She gestured towards her desk as she said this and he laughed. "I had a feeling you wouldn't complain."

Not too long after, the two of them landed behind the restaurant with a quiet pop and quickly made their way inside and out of the cold. It had been a little bit since Hermione had been in muggle London; back when she first began in the Ministry, she remembered that Harry would practically have to drag her away from her office to eat. The restaurants in muggle London were much more preferable than the ones in wizarding London as reporters wouldn't dare follow them there, and now they had a nice list of restaurants that they would visit for lunch every so often.

"Are you doing anything for Ron's birthday next week?" Harry asked as they sat down at a table in the corner.

Hermione sighed heavily, frowning and looking down at the table. "I wanted to have a big celebration for him but every time I ask what he wants to do, he says that he doesn't want anything big. I don't even think he wants a nice dinner with friends and family."

"That's rather odd, he's never been one to turn down a celebration like that." Harry watched her for a few moments before hesitantly asking, "Are you two alright?"

She grimaced slightly, looking down at the table. "Ever since I took on this new job as the Junior Assistant to the Minister a few weeks ago, he's been a little distant and our relationship's felt strained. I'm hoping it's just while I adjust to the new job but I don't know..."

"I'm sure he's just getting used to your new schedule," Harry said reassuringly. "You are going into work earlier now and getting back later, that's a large change."