- Chapter 11 -

He watches the wind pick the snow up in small flutters of white. It is as calm outside as the other days, which Izuku is extremely grateful for.

Today was the day, and there would be no turning back. Izuku looks away from the window to examine the fixed sled sitting in the corner.

He had spent the first half of the morning packing as much stuff as he could take. Of course, he took rations, the maps and books, and his mother's coat.

It was still too big and heavy for him to wear, but it was the only thing he had that belonged to her.

He had tied everything down as best as he could, making sure everything was secure. He was nervous beyond belief.

He had tied his things down over and over, just to make sure everything was perfect. He had hoped that his over preparing would help him in the long run.

The second half of the morning was spent spreading the gasoline. He had found it in a pile of stuff in the cellar, though he had never seen his mother use it before.

That was probably a good thing, because there were a ton of tanks filled with the liquid. It covered as much space as he could get it at, the smell strong everywhere he went.

He wanted to make sure that there would be nothing left when the fire died out.

He forced himself to eat, even when his stomach felt like it was in knots. Still, he knew he had to do this. Going to the hatch and opening it, he looked down into the cellar.

He feels cold air rush out, brushing his face. The strong smell of gasoline stings his nose, and he swipes a handful of matches against the matchbox in one quick motion.

With a satisfying sound, the matches light up and flames flicker. The wood of the matches burn quickly, the flames coming so close to his hand so quickly he feels the heat.

He drops them all into the cellar and watches as the gasoline is lit ablaze. It's no longer dark, the fire rising and rising.

He leaves the cellar hatch open, and he turns away. Smoke rises behind him as he takes a deep breath.

His gloved hands grip the red rope of the sled and pull. He passes the stain on the floor, and then through the doorway. As his boots crunch down on the snow and the sled follows, the wind's cries ring in his ears.

He looks back at the small cabin one last time. His footsteps are blown away behind him, and snowflakes cloud his vision.

The place he grew up in looks so cold with no one in it. But the flames quickly rid him of that feeling as they slowly spread through his home.

He sees the fire through the window as the glass shatters and the wood turns black. His eyes flicker to where his mother lays, and he stares.